• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Centre Console Lock & Key

ALC 68A

Donation Time
Neither the console in my Alpine or either of my two spare consoles have a key for the lock. Does anyone know the key number series for these locks please? Thanks. Regards. Steve G

65beam

Donation Time
Last week I found I had no keys for the lock on the project Harrington console. I took the lock to the local lock shop and it took about 15 minutes to have 2 keys made. They stocked blanks that worked. Nothing special. $26.00 for everything.

greenbean

Donation Time
Funny thing, the locksmith that I went to in order get keys made all around for my Alpine said that the key blanks were also used on expensive filing cabinet locks

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
You can find the original key code number stamped on the metal tang that moves to lock the console lid on the console lock assembly-this is for S3-S5 Alpines. Since you are in the UK you may find a vendor at a jumble that stocks the original pre cut Wilmot Breeden (Union) keys and Bob's your uncle! Here in the US there are a few vendors that can cut a repro key using the supplied key code. Eric

ALC 68A

Donation Time
Thanks Eric. The one I have taken off has 933 stamped on the tang. My boot lock key fits the key way, so must be in the same series, but unfortunately it's not an original key, so hasn't got the key number on it. From memory, I think old car keys were in the FS, FP and FR series. Could any Series III owner tell me what series key numbers they have on their boot (trunk) locks please? I would be very grateful. Regards. Steve G

65beam

Donation Time
You can find the original key code number stamped on the metal tang that moves to lock the console lid on the console lock assembly-this is for S3-S5 Alpines. Since you are in the UK you may find a vendor at a jumble that stocks the original pre cut Wilmot Breeden (Union) keys and Bob's your uncle! Here in the US there are a few vendors that can cut a repro key using the supplied key code. Eric
The guy just pulled the lock out and made the keys using the tumblers. He had nothing with the numbers listed that told him how to cut the key. He did the same to the 69 a few years back but he had to make the door, trunk and ignition keys for it.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Series III-V Alpine and all Tiger had UNION brand console keys made by Wilmot Breeden, with mostly FS series keyway tho FP was also used on a limited basis (BTW, 933 is FS).
I have a number of original, unused NOS Wilmot Breeden UNION keys in a variety of pre-stamped numbers available to buy.
Regards, Mark ….. volvoguys

65beam

Donation Time
Series III-V Alpine and all Tiger had UNION brand console keys made by Wilmot Breeden, with mostly FS series keyway tho FP was also used on a limited basis (BTW, 933 is FS).
I have a number of original, unused NOS Wilmot Breeden UNION keys in a variety of pre-stamped numbers available to buy.
Regards, Mark ….. volvoguys
I think these are the keys Mark mentioned. I have several so I110_0587.JPG had the lock shop cut these for me this morning.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wow brave guys locking the lockable things on a rag top....
Quick way to an insurance claim for a cut top, pried open compartment or boot. Part of the reason a convertible always had higher rating than a hard top

But a nice thread and matching the matching numbered keys to the cylinders on the locks is a fine detail almost always missed or why bother item. Wonder if I saw a points deduction for improper key on that standard deduction training detail guide hmmmmmm..
I have a pile of them as well what number are you looking for? Can you check barrel of the lock to tell us. My Locksmith working out of a old Fotomat kiosk charged 15.00 for the fiddly work, worth it for the sausage fingered guy ;)

65beam

Donation Time
Wow brave guys locking the lockable things on a rag top....
Quick way to an insurance claim for a cut top, pried open compartment or boot. Part of the reason a convertible always had higher rating than a hard top
;)
Hmmmmm! After 50 something years of Sunbeam ownership I can say I have never had this problem. Of course I live in a town in Ohio with a population of less than 5000 thousand people and 22000 in the entire county. One thing I've found out over the years of dealing with companies like State Auto, Nationwide and Federated is that if you do correct little things like locking your console and you file a claim there is much less hassel from the insurance guys. I haven't seen any judges check the specific details of the keys yet.

ALC 68A

Donation Time
Thanks guys. I wouldn't have found the key number stamped on the lock bar without Eric's help. Knowing the key number, I have now been able to order 2 keys from a UK internet site for the equivalent of about $10 including postage. Result! Regards. Steve.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I'll let someone else have the last word on the topic drift. I resemble the actor that play's the Farmers agent except I did that job for 22 years and did make people smarter about their insurance. I just hope the marque doesn't get tied up in matching numbers down to the ledgers and installed locks and stamped keys, that said a Rootes branded key in the ignition does look cool.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Hey Mark, If you have unused cut keys might I suggest contacting Triple C motors. They provide new cut keys from original masters and have as I understand have incomplete sets for most British cars. They might be interested in purchasing some if they don't have those numbers. That way you may help several owners across the hobby rather than just one here and there. No connection to them other than having bought stuff over the years.

ALC 68A

Donation Time
Warren - I wasn't doing this to achieve the n'th degree of originality. It was merely to have a console that locked! I haven't received the keys yet, but I'm not expecting them to be on original 1960s blanks, but on modern replicas. As it happens, none of the keys that came with the car are original Rootes anyway. Steve

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Took a few photos today-one of the console lock key number location and one of the trunk lid lock key number location (not as easy to get to!)
DSC08324.JPG DSC08325.JPG DSC08326.JPG