• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Carolina Motorsports Park Track Event! Nov. 12th

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
2011 4th Annual British Invasion at CMP

When: Saturday November 12th, 2011

Where: Carolina Motorsports Park
Kershaw, SC
www.carolinamotorsportspark.com

Time: 10:00am, track lapping sessions will begin about noon

This is our fourth time to do this, it is really a laid back event, we get together kick tires, talk cars, and then get to take our cars onto CMP's 2 mile road course for spirited lapping sessions, we do (2) 20 minutes sessions during the lunch time, there will be a Turn 1 track day going on that day as normal, so you can check out folks doing lapping/track days. They charge you a small gate fee to get in the track, I think it is $10, which is what any spectator is charged, the lapping sessions are free. I'm the driving instructor, and will hold a brief drivers meeting and then we go out, this is not parade laps, we try to not be too crazy and hold speeds down on the straights, but attack the corner as fast as you feel comfortable, and the passing of slower cars on the straights is allowed, as long as great care and courtesy is granted the over taken driver. This is a rare deal, most road course do not allow convertibles on course without roll cages and helmets, and we don't have to have neither, you can even have a passenger. Everyone who has done this has had a ball, any of you are welcome to join. Some of us spend the night on Friday, and normally stay at the Colony Inn in Camden, if you make reservations there, be sure to tell them you are with the CMP bunch for a nice discount on your room. The colony has a nice resturant opend for Breakfast there on the same property as the hotel.

There are track food concessions, nice clean restrooms, even shower and changing rooms at the track if needed. Children, pets are welcomed as well.

This year we also we will be having a few extra cool things. I'll be doing the full test day in my new MGB vintage race car, it will also be doing the British Invasion CMP lapping session, possibly as a pace car, I'm letting one of my best friends ever, drive it during that time, he has helpd me so much over the years, and want him to experience getting to drive that car. Also I have my recently finished my 1967 MGB GT street car there with it's new 1900cc performacne Acme Speed Shop engine and T9 5 speed tranny kit, and new 15x6 VTO Retro 4 wheels, so lots of cool stuff and that car getting to lapping session as well with it's new owner.

For event info, call Hap Waldrop at 864-370-300 or email hapwaldropacmespeedshop.com

Last edited:

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
Tagging on to the old thread, this event will be on 11/16/2013 this year. Come out and run some laps on a neat racetrack. Same everything as in the previous years, except date.

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
Here is the write up on the MG experience, by Pat Harris, organizer

Carolina Motorsports Park is allowing another British Invasion!!!

In case anyone is wondering, this is a chance to drive your MG, or other British car around the CMP 2 mile road course. If you are within driving distance to Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, SC and would like to drive your LBC around a real track for free, here's your chance.

Foothills British Car Club is again hosting this event and we look forward to a good turnout for this 6th annual event! Hap Waldrop best summarized this outing in the announcement a few years ago. I've taken the liberty to make a few corrections - like, the date ;-)

The time is near for this years British Invasion at Carolina Motorsports Park.

Yep, hard to believe, we have not been run off from here yet So once again we plan on returning to Carolina Motorpsorts Park for our 6th annual British Invasion at CMP.

This is about as laid back of event as it gets. Drive your MG or other British car around the CMP 2 mile road course on Saturday Nov. 16th - no helmets required, passengers are welcome to ride along. We normally meet and park over the near turn 2 - about 1000 -1030, near the concession stand, nice restrooms also near by (I know you ladies like such details).

Overall it's just a fun time, to get to go out on the track in our little cars, and take a few laps at something much better than a pace lap. CMP is a interesting road racing track, very technical and designed for cars like our LBCs Go as slow or fast (within reason) as you like. For the faster folks, trust me, you'll like this, we normally attack the corners and back off on the straights, you'll be plenty tested.

It costs nothing to do the track session. We normally have about 15-20 British cars there, lots of neat stuff, lots of the folks have done this with us, have been with us since the first year, so they must be enjoying it, I know I do.

I like seeing the smile on folks faces when they come off the track and start telling you about their time on track, like kids at Christmas. Men, women, children, dogs, you name it, you're all welcome.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
No rollbars or helmets required? Wow, sounds like a throwback to the '50s, with TD's sliding around the corners on skinny bias-plies. Wish I lived closer.

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
There a bouts. It gives you time to meet the other folks and kick tires before getting on the track. I camped down there last year the night before so I didn't have to make a early morning get away from Spartanburg.

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
Tom, it is a good time, Smitty made it down to the track in his Alp.

I loaded the video clip into windows movie maker, it lets you add sound and titles, etc

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Beautiful Blue! I liked the sound of your engine (when it could be heard) Best!

dmich2

Donation Time
Great video Sam. My step son has been asking for a GoPro.....might have to get one. That was really neat.

BTW????? Was that a Fiat 124 passing everyone early in the video??? I thought it was a British Day....LOL.

Dennis

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Great video Sam. My step son has been asking for a GoPro.....might have to get one. That was really neat.

BTW????? Was that a Fiat 124 passing everyone early in the video??? I thought it was a British Day....LOL.

Dennis

LOL...Looked like a Spider to me!

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes, that guy kinda sneaked out there behind us, there was a 911 behind us too, but he couldn't keep up. You would have a great time with the V6 down there Dennis.

sm

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hey Sam, What is the event that this is run in conjunction with? I would love to do this but that time of the year is so busy with football games that we can never seem to make it.

Cheers,