• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Carb spit on cold start

Limey

Donation Time
Hi All,

Engine is still running in at 1000mls and all OK but she has always had the tendancy to spit out of a carb on cold start with partial choke. Full choke is too much.

Timing issue of fuel ratio issue?

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi Oliver,

long time no hear. Hope all is fine with you. Sounds somewhat familiar to me. You may check whether the interconnection clamp between front & rear Zenith is really tight. If in doubt take a small hacksaw blade and cut the diecast clamping affair a bit wider - gives more clamping force. Another potential root cause could be a loose carb body on the lower butterfly flange...

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
I seem to notice, if you look at the underside of the bonnet on any Zenith carb car, there is always a black stain above the front carb. I am about to change to a covered air filter on my S2 to prevent this. I will also check as you suggest Bernd, although having just rebuilt the whole mess I'm thinking it may have something to do with cam or valve timing.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
A black stain over the front carb doesn't sound familiar to me. Are you sure that the front choke flap opens fully and synchronous with the rear one ?