• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Car Tilt

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Well the best plans don't always workout. I made tall stands to lift the car but I will need to TILT it on its side to do the serious work on exhaust, undercoating removal and reinstall, fuel line, brake lines, and patch work. My overhead welding SUCKS worse than my regular welding. Not a lot of patching but the underside looks like it has been coated with concrete and I may need a chisel and sledge to remove it, so I can see bare metal. Anyone have this problem? I'll make a couple of door braces out of 1 x 1 square tubing so I can remove the doors, take the engine out, gut the car as much as possible, remove suspension, then use the TILT to put her on her side. I normally would not use wood but the Alpine is so light I feel safe. Who knew a hot rodder taking mechanical and architectural drafting in high school would come in handy at 76?

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Some kind of tilt or rotisserie is almost mandatory if you're going to do any serious structural work in a quality fashion. Here's my SI V6 conversion project undergoing surgery...

Attachments

• Resized_20200615_163012.jpeg
    Resized_20200615_163012.jpeg
    645.1 KB · Views: 51
  • imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 53

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Thanks for the underside shot. I was wondering how to make the right side exhaust get thru the X member. The same as the left side...only better.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Well the best plans don't always workout. I made tall stands to lift the car but I will need to TILT it on its side to do the serious work on exhaust, undercoating removal and reinstall, fuel line, brake lines, and patch work. My overhead welding SUCKS worse than my regular welding. Not a lot of patching but the underside looks like it has been coated with concrete and I may need a chisel and sledge to remove it, so I can see bare metal. Anyone have this problem? I'll make a couple of door braces out of 1 x 1 square tubing so I can remove the doors, take the engine out, gut the car as much as possible, remove suspension, then use the TILT to put her on her side. I normally would not use wood but the Alpine is so light I feel safe. Who knew a hot rodder taking mechanical and architectural drafting in high school would come in handy at 76?
Is old guys got a few tricks and remember how to make drawings with a ruler, compass, and a triangle!