• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Car show follow up

chris

Donation Time
Yesterday the 19th Annual United British Car Show was held for the first time at the Yolo County Fairgrounds in Woodland California. Out of the over two hundred British cars in attendance, only seven Sunbeams turned out, five Alpines & two Tigers. Because there were not enough Tigers to make up their own class of at least three cars, the Alpines and Tigers were judged together as the Sunbeam class. Judging went as follows, 1st: 1966 Tiger, 2nd: 1967 Alpine Series V, 3rd: 1965 Tiger MK 1

While I don’t think there was any interest by the Tiger owners, I’m hoping we soon add four more members to the Pacific Coast Chapter.

This was a great show with a great venue including venders, food and a swap meet. Several other clubs were represented with their own booths and a large club turnout. Maybe next year we’ll be big enough to do the same.

wframe

Donation Time
Chris, Sounds like a good strong showing of Alpine. If I am able to get mine running and keep it that way until next year, I will try to make it next year. The time we went, it was a great show! Any pictures you can post somewhere?

napa 1

Donation Time
Sounds Great Chris. We should all make an effort to attend next year and really make a great showing of Alpines. I'll set a goal to get the Harrington finished by then.

Armand4

Donation Time
I spent the weekend at Thunderhill Raceway in Willows with the Classic Sports Racing Group, where everyone kept telling me how cool it would be if I started racing my Alpine with them. Anyway, I got to talk to a guy who's involved with the United British Car Club and he told me all about it. If I had known there was going to be a swap meet as well as a show, I might even have ditched CSRG for the day! Of course, my Alpine is sidelined for the moment, so seeing other people drive their classic cars was a little frustrating. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that the car show went well.

P.S. Instructions for uploading photos can be found in the gallery section of the website.

P.P.S. One of the racers at the CSRG event was driving "Baby Doll V," a famous Morgan Plus Four prepared and raced by Lew Spencer, who also worked with Alpines. Baby Doll V is also VERY fast with her modified TR4 engine-- she easily kept up with the Corvettes and Mustangs that made up the rest of her class.

Armand4

Donation Time
Mike-- I'm planning to go, and I was thinking we should have a Pacific Coast Chapter meeting there. If we can get enough Sunbeams, we might be able to park them all together and have a little party. We could barbecue some burgers and hot dogs, and laugh at the MG guys and the 5-port iron heads on their A- and B-series motors.:D

thequick

Donation Time
I'll tell ya

Last time I went I felt like a hot shot in my Alpine all the way to the track. Then I saw the corral full of over restored Tigers....

It is still one of my favorite events of the year.

Mike

Bill Tubbs

Donation Time
I don't trust my SV to go all the way over and back yet (still haven't replaced the carbs with my newly rebuilt ones) but we plan on coming over on Sunday in my convertible SAAB. Anyone else going to be there on Sunday?

I haven't been to Sears Point since it was Sears Point... lots of good races in the 70s/80s. It's probably totally different and I'm sure I'll get lost inside. Where do you plan to be, if anywhere in particular? Maybe a private list of cell numbers for those who are going?

Bill

thequick

Donation Time
Guys

I am palnning on going Sunday. Do you want to meet up at lunch? I think a good spot would be by the ATM at the base of the grand stands near the end of the permenat garages. This is usualy right next to the winners circle. (can;t say for certain as the circle gets moved event to event) Say 12-12:15 ish??? I should be easy to spot, I'll be with my 7 year old son.

If not, have fun!!

PS sorry about the spelling...

Bill Tubbs

Donation Time
Mike,

Sorry we missed you (and anyone else). Liz and I were there yesterday from about 10:30 'til closing. We had a quick bite at the main souvenir stand food place and looked around the area but since I hadn't been to Sears Point for about 20 years or so I wasn't familiar with the 'new' landmarks.

I was disappointed that only one Tiger ran in Group 8 despite 4 being listed. But I got to watch the only SAAB Sonett race in the same group, so all was not lost. Maybe we'll make it down to Monterey in August...

Did you drive your Alpine over? I didn't see any in the see of Porsche's and other cute cars but didn't catch all the lots.

Bill