• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Car covers

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Hey, guys:

Please forgive me if I've got the wrong forum here, but I want to ask a question about car covers. I've got, and have had for many, many years, a cotton car cover for my Tiger. It's just a plain light blue cotton cover that I use exclusively for inside my shop just to keep the dust off of the car. I've got a couple of other cars I'm wanting to buy car covers for now, a 1989 Saleen Mustang and my wife's '04 Thunderbird, and I'm wanting the same kind of cover for them. The problem is that I can't find anyone who carries the plain-old cotton covers anymore here locally. It's all this three-layer this and four-layer that made out of polypropelene fabric. Whatever happened to just the plain-old cotton car covers?

I bought one of those Wal-Mart el-cheapo covers once for my old Alpine race car that was made out of that one-layer polypropelene. Man, what a waste of money that was! I only bought it because no one seemed to carry the cotton ones anymore. Suffice it to say that it didn't last very long.

The cover I've got for my Tiger can be cleaned in a washer and dryer and is easy to fold up and take with me if need be. Does anybody out there have any suggestions as to where I might look? Or, has fabric technology surpassed the usefulness of cotton car covers, thereby leaving me in it's wake??? Man, I'm sure feeling old...

Thanks,

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
I can't remember if I got my cotton/flannel cover from Big Sky Car Covers or from Autosport. Either way it's a Custom fit, really nice cover. Pretty sure both companies do cotton covers.

Be advised, cotton covers gets saturated with dust and eventually just get the car dirtier. A cotton cover is a good cover that's best for the paint finish, however it doesn't shed the dust that lands on it. I'd throw a plastic sheet (the cheap painters type) over the cover as well. That's how I do my stored car and it works brilliantly.

Outdoors, fanatical me uses a weathershield cover over the cotton one. 100% effective at sealing the car off from anything, birds, weather, dust, sun. Job done. Kinda pricey buying 2 covers but no single cover works the way I want it to. Weather proof covers aren't paint friendly enough for me and paint friendly ones aren't weatherproof enough. The supposed evolution/multi layered covers are just glorified paper and don't last. FYI.

bashby

Donation Time
I checked AutoSport and BigSky and could not find a car cover for the Sunbeam, Griots does not even list Sunbeam in the pulldown menu; maybe I did not look hard enough.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I use a painters drop cloth. Thin, very soft after washing. The thicker ones are stiff and I think would scratch bt the thinner one seems pretty good (and cheap)

65beam

Donation Time
we have three of the flannel covers and also one of the water repellent covers that sunbeam specialties sells. they are made to the contours of the cars and fit great. as H120 said ,the cost is more but they do fit the car. well worth the investment.