• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Car Cover Recommendations

ducsingle

Donation Time
Any recommendations for a waterproof car cover for an Alpine or Tiger?

In particular, does anyone make a cover that is specifically designed for an Alpine/Tiger?

Or alternatively, is there a "generic" cover that is well suited to the task?

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I've never had great luck with "waterproof" covers, because they aren't. And if they were, there could be a (long-term) mold issue due to moisture from below condensing inside. Parking over a ground tarp can help this.

Non-waterproof covers will protect from dust, but at the first rain, the dirt washes through the cover and onto your car. You can wash them, but it takes a pretty big washing machine.

I've often thought of constructing a supporting framework (plastic pipe or plastic elec. conduit) to support a cover, but keep it off the car. Similar to a boat cover. Front and rear "hoops" stuck in the factory jack locations, with middle supports at the shoulder harness locations and the windshield. Sort of like its own portable garage.

There are pricey continuously inflated bubble houses, but I believe they're only rated for indoor use. But they're still cheaper than a garage.

Ken

65beam

Donation Time
car covers

sunbeam specialties has covers made to fit alpines and tigers. he sells two types. one is a flannel and the other one repels water. i have both. i use the flannel on the cars when parked in the garage or when i know it's not going to rain if they're outside since the flannel gets VERY HEAVY when wet. if we're going on a trip where we will be taking two trailers which means one open trailer, i use the water repellant cover when the car is parked outside. these covers are well made, long lasting and they do fit the cars. the cost is reasonable.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Your best waterproof cover is a tin of good Carnuba-based automotive wax, well applied.

I never use covers for my cars outdoors... they only end up damaging the finish. Either grit gets inside them and then breezes end up grinding it into the paint... or, as noted, mold develops and makes the car stink to high heaven... or, worse yet, water gets under the cover and then the hot sun beats down on it and it literally steams your paint, discoloring it permanently.

No, thanks. She gets her feet wet... it's safer.

dmich2

Donation Time
I pulled up this old post. Perhaps the answer is there, but just to be sure....

I too have been looking at covers. My car is garaged and I don't drive it in the rain, unless I get caught. Maybe I'm the unfortuate one, but mine leaks water inside, you just can't seal it. I don't mind getting wet, but drying out all the carpet and underpadding is a pain and if you don't there will be mold and mildew and it'll smell like a boys locker room ...:mad:

What I'm interested in is a cover I can use so when I travel and have to park outside and it's going to rain I can cover the car so I won't have a small wading pool in the floorboards in the morning. I bought one of the lightweight plastic tarps at Harbor Freight and it worked...ok, but trying to get a square tarp tied down snugly can be a challenge.

Dennis

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
A neighbor gave me a waterproof cover a while back.

It's a little large for an Alpine, but it is 100% waterproof, even in the heaviest,
prolonged rainstorm.

It is made of an ultra light weight white material that reminds me of parachute material
(although I've never seen a parachute).

When traveling I roll it into a ball and toss it into the boot.

Unfortunately it has no label, but suffice it to say that lightweight fully waterproof covers are available, somewhere, though possibly not a direct fit to an Alpine.

Allan

agmason54

Donation Time
Car cover

Walmart-under $5.00 in the sporting goods section...

RCtWG

Attachments

• 102_5886 (Large).jpg
    102_5886 (Large).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 18

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
We are currently using one of Al's patented car covers. The tarp was too big, so we cut it down and in order to keep the eyelets, cut the tarp lengthwise down the center and taped it together with good ole' duct tape.

The duct tape worked so good, it got me to thinking. There was an Alpine in Winona that has a custom top cover. Here is a small picture of ithttp://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3330&d=1315234070

It is the car in the right side of the photo. Unfortunately, it is small and hard to see any detail. It is made of upholstery grade plastic material and sewn together. It slips over the convertible top. I am thinking of making one by cutting up a tarp and putting it together with duct tape. It could be made from three pieces of tarp. One would go over the top, covering both side windows. The second would cover the windshield, the third piece the rear window. An alternative would be the long piece would cover front and rear windows, the other pieces the side windows.

Either way, Red Green would be proud.

Bill

Edit: Murrry's car is the one I'm referring to. Unfortunately, the link I posted will not work. Try here:http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16849 and click on the photo in the center.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
At Invasion XI Murry Bruskin used a "hoody" that he had made for his car. It covered the top, the side windows, the rear window and the windshield. It functioned beautifully and kept the inside of the car dry, even during the heavy rains that were evident during the Invasion. It was custom made using a heavy vinyl and fastened securely using the snaps and posts already on the car. Smaller than a full car cover it is very quick and easy to put in place.