• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cap for Clutch Master Cylinder

Rockonp04

Donation Time
Does anyone know of a replacement cap for the stock clutch master cylinder? I bought one from sunbeam specialties and classic sunbeam and both cracked from the slightest over tightening. I’m looking for like a Dorman cap made is ABS plastic that won’t immediately crack. Anyone know of one?

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Mine is actually made of plastic. Lemme see what I got and I’ll take a pic for you.

Rockonp04

Donation Time
Mine is actually made of plastic. Lemme see what I got and I’ll take a pic for you.
This is the one that keeps breaking. It’s made of a super soft plastic.

Attachments

• 965FE46D-03B3-42A6-8D24-50E971683D9A.jpeg
    965FE46D-03B3-42A6-8D24-50E971683D9A.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 42

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
This what you’re looking for?

Attachments

• 157A3CD6-3CE7-43D7-A229-F043EE421466.jpeg
    157A3CD6-3CE7-43D7-A229-F043EE421466.jpeg
    299.7 KB · Views: 38

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
This is the one that keeps breaking. It’s made of a super soft plastic.

That’s exactly like mine. The cap though is really solid and strong. I have a very strong grip and I’ve yet to break it…

Have these caps always been plastic?

Anyone have an idea of how big that cap is?

Rockonp04

Donation Time
Yea I’d like to replace it with something stronger. I’m going to try the coke bottle cap. Tried it with a shallow water bottle cap and it fits. Lol.

Lons 62

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have one from my extra parts pile. My 62 SII has a plastic cap. I am not sure which year this is from. It's not in great shape but I am sure my father-in-law got it in the 70's when he was putting the 62 together.

Attachments

• IMG_4887.jpeg
    IMG_4887.jpeg
    304 KB · Views: 14

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
In 35+ years with my Alpine, I've never had this issue. I wonder if it is more recent caps being made of different material? I'm sure going to keep a hold of my old cap for sure!

But, from an other perspective, I have a "new" car that is actually now 21 years old. It seems to have hit a point where various plastic things have simultaneously started cracking and falling apart. Everything is built to a metric and they know how much it costs to make something last a certain amount of time. Consumers aren't going to pay for things to last forever, so no reason to build it that way.

Last edited: