• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Canberra Terribly British Day...

lemansvk

Donation Time
...is our annual Brit car day, held 1st weekend of December each year. 5 years ago there were no Rootes cars at all, 2006 we had 5 Alpines, a Rapier, Vogue and Super Snipe - and a 1928 Sunbeam. Thought some of you might like to see the Alpines
sunalp63

Cheers, Vic

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Vic,

Are there many Rootes group car owners in Canberra? By the picture, the cars look very nice. Melbourne has the British & European car show at Flemmington in February. Plenty of very nice cars to attend that show.

Regards, Robin.

lemansvk

Donation Time
Hi Robin,

Not enough Rootes owners to form a viable club. The last Rootes type club here was the Humber club but they just got too small and stopped doing things (a couple of locals are still in the Sydney club). There seem to be more Super Snipes here than anything else, probably because they were used as Commonwealth Cars for politicians in the 1960s. I know of 5 in regular use, at least another 4 that are sitting in backyards waiting for someone to save them. There are about 4 Vogues (including an Estate) in regular use, probably more tha that waiting to be fixed or stripped and crushed. Of the 5 Alpines at the show, 4 of them have arrived in Canberra in the last 4 years. I know of another almost back on the road. There is also a Tiger but the owner is a bit of a recluse - doesn't seem into doing club type things. The bloke who brought the Rapier to the show also has a Minx V and a Hillman Gazelle. I know of another Minx stripped for restoration but it's going nowhere at the moment. Another bloke has 2 Minxes and a Super Minx, none of which are registered at the moment (although the 2 Minxes probably could be). There is a nicely restored Husky, a few Hunters that are just everyday drivers

I have set up a Yahoogroup to help us keep in touch and have about 30 members but 7 of those are friends from other places like Adelaide, Perth, Brisbane, another 6 would be from out of town (Wagga, Cowra, Moruya etc) and several others are interested observers without cars. I try to get everyone to bring their cars to display days to stir up interest - the Super Snipe at TB day came up from Moruya.

Cheers, Vic