• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

cam timing marks

mbruskin

Donation Time
Just put a Delta KB grind cam in my series 5 and had to replace the smaller crank sprocket. The old one had a broken tooth from the previous owner rebuild, which was awhile ago. We can't get the 2 timing marks (dimples?) to line up at TDC. It seems to be about half a tooth off no matter what we try. Also, after getting the oil pump in correctly with the slot at a 47-49 degree angle and the rotor at about the 2 o'clock position, wire for plug # 1 is 90 degrees off. We moved the plug wires on the distributor so the rotor is pointing at plug wire # 1, but don't know why it was 90 degrees off. Would the timing marks being slightly off have anything to do with it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated before the engine goes back in.

Thanks,

Murray

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have noticed that the timing marks are not exactly in alignment too with the centers of the cam & cranks shafts. And so, I set it up as close as possible. You can check the timing (roughly check it by eye) by watching the two valves moving while twisting the crankshaft back & forth at TDC (one stroke out from firing).
If your rotor is off 90 degrees, then you didn't get #1 in firing. One important thing to remember, after the timing chain is installed, is to turn the crankshaft one revolution, and then #1 will be firing; Then insert the oil pump, per instructions on the WSM. Always then double check the pump phasing, by engaging the distibutor cog into the pump drive and verify the rotor position & the points opening too.
Jan