• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Building a V8 non-Tiger Alpine

Thunderbolt

Donation Time
I own a 1967 Alpine. I want to do a V8 conversion and it does not have to be a 289. What I want to do is emmunate some of the techniques used on the Tiger such as the firewall and steering. What or where is the best source of information and pictures for the firewall modifications? I am trying to avoid rehashing territory already battled thru.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mods will be determined by the needs of the engine selected, along with the selection and location of ancillary parts (think steering pump, alternator, A/C pump, headers, starter, etc) used on the engine. The typical Alpine wears it swapped engine like a tight pair of jeans.

Bill

Thunderbolt

Donation Time
I have literally completed hundreds of transplants in other chassis', including fwd to rwd conversions and hundreds of crossbreed swaps. What is am looking for is pictures and information on what was done on the Tigers.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Tigers had a different firewall and different around the braces. Here is a picture with the pieces transplanted onto an Alpine. Brake master is where clutch was and pedals were different.

tiger 1.jpg

Last edited:

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
There used to be a lot more information here but much of it got lost years ago when the site crashed irretrievably. Still, searching here for "Alger" should give you a good start. As a general rule, the conversion requires access to a wrecked or rusted Tiger, unless you are a master fabricator, which sounds like the case here. British V8 has some information that would be worth looking at:http://www.britishv8.org/Search-Results.htm?cx=partner-pub-8168402389087911:7413808915&cof=FORID:10&ie=UTF-8&q=alpine&sa=Search&siteurl=www.britishv8.org/&ref=&ss=823j144807j6. And, you might find the photos and description of what was done to this car useful: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-sunbeam-tiger-tribute/

One more thing you might want to consider is putting something other than a V8 in the car. If you haven't already, I suggest you spend some time reviewing some of the builds on this section of the forum. Some of them are pretty impressive and will out handle and out perform most Tigers. Of the three fastest Sunbeams I have ever ridden in, only one was a Tiger: Michael King/Alpine_64's Tiger with a 351 (I think) hot rodded V8. The others were Brian Holmes/tigretr's turbocharged 1725 (http://www.turbosunbeamalpine.com) and Jim Ellis/Jim E's 2.8 V6 S3, aka Vader. All three were neck-snapingly fast. There are lots of options for someone who knows what he is doing.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Not sure why you would want to replicate the stock tiger steering.. Its rubbish.. Poor geometry that leads to fulcrum pin failure, craxked towers, bad scrub, poor turning circle, understeer... The list goes on...

Even the MG midget rack conversion with MG steering arms and alpine tie rods is a step forward..

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Read all about club member fonz and his trials and tribulations doing a conversion right here on this forum.....

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I own a 1967 Alpine. I want to do a V8 conversion and it does not have to be a 289. What I want to do is emmunate some of the techniques used on the Tiger such as the firewall and steering. What or where is the best source of information and pictures for the firewall modifications? I am trying to avoid rehashing territory already battled thru.

If you want an Alpine with a V8, buy a Tiger. It will be quicker, easier, probably cost less and will certainly be worth a lot more than a V8 conversion.

If you insist on doing a V-8 conversion, start with the knowledge that a short-deck (8.2") SBF engine with a toploader or T-5 transmission BARELY fits after removing the Alpine steering box and upper steering mechanism, fabricating engine mounts that "hang" from the original mounting locations for the steering box / steering relay lever assembly, moving the lower firewall back about 4", completely removing / replacing the transmission tunnel, modifying the inner fender panel reinforcement braces, modifying (or completely replacing) the front suspension crossmember to accommodate a front-steer R&P steering setup with terrible geometry and moving the brake and clutch master cylinders outboard by about 5". You will also need to cut holes in the front cruciform arms and notches in the rear cruciform arms to provide ground clearance for the exhaust pipes, remove the Alpine battery box and relocate the battery to the trunk and replace the Alpine rear axle with something that will stand up to "V8" torque (FWIW, a Ford 9" or equivalent will not fit without significant surgery to the rear floor / trunk panels).

A comprehensive side-by-side comparison of your S-V and a real Tiger would be a good way to start.

Last edited:

Thunderbolt

Donation Time
There used to be a lot more information here but much of it got lost years ago when the site crashed irretrievably. Still, searching here for "Alger" should give you a good start. As a general rule, the conversion requires access to a wrecked or rusted Tiger, unless you are a master fabricator, which sounds like the case here. British V8 has some information that would be worth looking at:http://www.britishv8.org/Search-Results.htm?cx=partner-pub-8168402389087911:7413808915&cof=FORID:10&ie=UTF-8&q=alpine&sa=Search&siteurl=www.britishv8.org/&ref=&ss=823j144807j6. And, you might find the photos and description of what was done to this car useful: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-sunbeam-tiger-tribute/

One more thing you might want to consider is putting something other than a V8 in the car. If you haven't already, I suggest you spend some time reviewing some of the builds on this section of the forum. Some of them are pretty impressive and will out handle and out perform most Tigers. Of the three fastest Sunbeams I have ever ridden in, only one was a Tiger: Michael King/Alpine_64's Tiger with a 351 (I think) hot rodded V8. The others were Brian Holmes/tigretr's turbocharged 1725 (http://www.turbosunbeamalpine.com) and Jim Ellis/Jim E's 2.8 V6 S3, aka Vader. All three were neck-snapingly fast. There are lots of options for someone who knows what he is doing.

Good Info. Thanks

Thunderbolt

Donation Time
Not sure why you would want to replicate the stock tiger steering.. Its rubbish.. Poor geometry that leads to fulcrum pin failure, craxked towers, bad scrub, poor turning circle, understeer... The list goes on...

Even the MG midget rack conversion with MG steering arms and alpine tie rods is a step forward..
I have heard. Plan to use MG parts since I have them. I did a V8 MG a few year back.

Thunderbolt

Donation Time
If you want an Alpine with a V8, buy a Tiger. It will be quicker, easier, probably cost less and will certainly be worth a lot more than a V8 conversion.

If you insist on doing a V-8 conversion, start with the knowledge that a short-deck (8.2") SBF engine with a toploader or T-5 transmission BARELY fits after removing the Alpine steering box and upper steering mechanism, fabricating engine mounts that "hang" from the original mounting locations for the steering box / steering relay lever assembly, moving the lower firewall back about 4", completely removing / replacing the transmission tunnel, modifying the inner fender panel reinforcement braces, modifying (or completely replacing) the front suspension crossmember to accommodate a front-steer R&P steering setup with terrible geometry and moving the brake and clutch master cylinders outboard by about 5". You will also need to cut holes in the front cruciform arms and notches in the rear cruciform arms to provide ground clearance for the exhaust pipes, remove the Alpine battery box and relocate the battery to the trunk and replace the Alpine rear axle with something that will stand up to "V8" torque (FWIW, a Ford 9" or equivalent will not fit without significant surgery to the rear floor / trunk panels).

A comprehensive side-by-side comparison of your S-V and a real Tiger would be a good way to start.
Customer has to decide. I want to show him the challenges. It may end up as an LS or big 4. But the current request is to be similar to the Tiger. His wallet....my car is the starting point.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
There have been a few nice LS conversions. More Pro Street with new front frame, firewall and fender wells.