• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Building a new engine for my car

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
After meeting up with Jim Stone at the Long Island United a couple of years ago and reading his
excellent article on his engine I've decided to build a new 1789 engine for my Series V.

Last February, I purchased a 1725 that was , as I was told, a good runner. I have to say that I was
told correctly as upon disassembly, everything bores & bearings were all standard with very little
wear.
To date, I have had my cam ground with a Delta KB grind and had my lifters and rockers refaced.
I purchased chevy 6 cylinder rods and flat top +20 pistons. I have all new main bearings, cam bearings
thrust washers and freeze plugs. The block has been hot tanked and jet washed . The crank is being
cut for the new stroke for the chevy rods.

Presently, the block is in my machinists boring machine and will be bored to fit the new pistons. Then the
block will be assembled.

My plan is to get the bottom done then bring my machinist ( Aldo) the head and do the Vizard mods
and 4 angle valve job. I'm looking at replacing the valves with Datsun 240 Z valves and seats to see
if there would be an advantage to this.

With this build, I'm going use a Toyota 5 speed trans and will either use Dans rear disk brakes
or, if I can find one, a Mazda RX7 limited slip rear ( with disks).

Stay tuned . I'll post developments as they happen. My crank should be back Thursday!
Cheers!
Steve

IMG_1240.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1241.JPG
    IMG_1241.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 21

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Sounds like it will be a great runner! I'm looking forward to following the build.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Jim,

I agree that it will really wake up the Alpine!

By the way, the oiling mods were done prior to cleaning the block.

Cheers!
Steve

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Steve, The package with pistons, rings and pins should be there Thursday.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Glad to see another Chevy rod engine being built. Better yet, to see the transmission swap. I've come to the conclusion that a good transmission swap (relatively easy and economical) would eliminate 90% of the engine swaps. Has anybody looked into using the Miata 5 speed transmission with the Rootes engine?

Bill

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Dan!! That's going to work perfectly!
Bill, the only reason I haven't looked at the Miata 5 speed is the bell housing. I can buy the
one for the Toyota swap ( not real cheap) but it's something that I don't have to develop. Not
sure what the mating surface of the Mazda looks like but it probably could be adapted. And I
agree that a good trans swap would make the car so much better.

Does anyone have a picture, or better yet, bolt pattern for the Mazda trans? Just thinking that
an adapter ring might be able to be made to bolt to the Rootes bell housing. The only other issue
would be the shifter position, but I've seen that changed on a few Miata swaps.

Cheers!
Steve

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Dan!! That's going to work perfectly!
Bill, the only reason I haven't looked at the Miata 5 speed is the bell housing. I can buy the
one for the Toyota swap ( not real cheap) but it's something that I don't have to develop. Not
sure what the mating surface of the Mazda looks like but it probably could be adapted. And I
agree that a good trans swap would make the car so much better.

Does anyone have a picture, or better yet, bolt pattern for the Mazda trans? Just thinking that
an adapter ring might be able to be made to bolt to the Rootes bell housing. The only other issue
would be the shifter position, but I've seen that changed on a few Miata swaps.

Cheers!
Steve
Be aware there are at least two Miata bell housing patterns. One for the original Miata engine and one for its Duratec replacement in the early 2000's. I don't know if the pattern changed when Mazda dropped the Duratec. Which would be best, I have not a clue. I do know they are vastly different, but the transmissions are the same.
Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Steve, a second thought. I have a Duratec transmission I can use to make a pattern and mail to you. The tranny is a Ford Ranger unit, which would be a very poor choice for mating to a 1725. Too big and too heavy, but it will bolt onto the Mazda Duratec engine and would serve your immediate purpose. What I will send to is, in effect, a cardboard gasket to fit between the engine and bell housing. Do you (or anyone else) want one? I'll send one to anybody that wants one.

Bill

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Bill , that would be helpful but , as you stated, the one you have is for a Ranger. Is it similar to the "other"
Miata trans that would work better? If you don't have my address, I'll PM it to you.

Cheers!
Steve

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The same bell housing pattern. By mixing and matching flywheels, clutch components and starters, my transmission will bolt onto the Mazda Duratecs and vice versa. Once you get past the bell housing, they are two different worlds. About as similar as a T5 is to a Toyota 5 speed.

Your going to have to PM me your address, I no longer have it.

Bill

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
I believe the name of the Australian (NZ??) company that makes bell housing that mate a Toyota 5sp to an Alp engine is called Conversion Components
It has been awhile since I inquired.

BD

alpine_64

Donation Time
That's the NZ company. The aussie one was dellows . thrir bellhousing was nicer.. But not sure if still available.

Aud is very low now.. Good buying time for usa.....

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Bill, I'll PM you the address. That's what I was thinking, different transmissions with the
same bolt pattern.

I'm thinking the Dellows bell housing as it's a nice piece and reasonable somewhere around $700.
I can source the rest of the conversion here rather than buy their pieces.

I'm starting to like the Mazda idea though and will have to look into it.
Thanks for the replies!
Cheers!!
Steve

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I looked at a couple of Miata transmissions and they look pretty long. Is the bell housing
removable on these or will the adaptor ring attach the Mazda bell to the engine? The I guess
it would be making the shifter fit.

Thanks!
Steve

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Went over to the machine shop this afternoon as the new pistons arrived today. Thanks Dan!!
Also had to drop off new main & cam bearings, freeze plugs, end plug and thrust washers. Also
the crank is back and looks incredible. I forgot my camera, so no pics right now. I have to go
back next week to bring the cam & timing gear so will take some more shots then. Aldo should be
boring the cylinders then so the assembly process should be starting really soon!

Cheers!
Steve

737lindgren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Went over to the machine shop this afternoon as the new pistons arrived today. Thanks Dan!!
Also had to drop off new main & cam bearings, freeze plugs, end plug and thrust washers. Also
the crank is back and looks incredible. I forgot my camera, so no pics right now. I have to go
back next week to bring the cam & timing gear so will take some more shots then. Aldo should be
boring the cylinders then so the assembly process should be starting really soon!

Cheers!
Steve
Steve
My name is chris Lindgren
Just getting my 1967 sunbeam alpine sorted
Took me 20+ years to find it
Patrick King is bringing it back to near perfect interested in your engine build and what kind of power you are getting
Someone else mentioned the Vizard head and Chevy rods
Might try and build up another engine
other than my own

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Chris,

The engine was bored .40 over with flat topped pistons, crankshaft was stroked to use chevy rods . My machinist made bushings
for the piston pins and the whole rotating mass was balanced. For the head I'm doing the Vizard mods and putting in Datsun
240 Z intake and exhaust valves which should make it breathe a bit better. We also lightened the flywheel and balanced that as well.
I also had Delta reprofile the cam to a KB grind, resurface the lifters and rocker arms as well.
I don't know what kind of power I'll get out of it yet as I don't have the head back, hopefully soon!

Don, the oil passages from the oil galley down to the mains were all enlarged to get more oil to all the bottom end bearings.

Cheers!
Steve

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Not sure if this helps. Here is a picture of the Miata motor & trans I installed into my series 2 next to the Datsun A14 motor & trans I removed from my car. The Mazda shifter is way back, the good thing about the Mazda 5 speed is 5th gear is .80 not 1 to 1. I run 75 mph @ 3400 rpm.
RIMG0021-XL.jpg

RIMG0017-XL.jpg

Maita 5 speed installed.
RIMG0005-XL.jpg

RIMG0963-XL.jpg