• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

brown and blue wire

bluoval

Donation Time
Am in the process of finishing up the wirng. on the 67 Alpine V6 conversion. The alpine was just a body with no wirng. harness.So I used custom 12 fuse wirng. harness. Have finished rebuilding the turn sig. mech. and would like to know what the blue and brown wires that come out of the turn sig switch are used for.. My guess is they were for headlight dip. But the turn sig. mechanism has no provisions for the lever to dip the head lights.. My question is Are the brown and blue wires necessary for anything and must be conected to anything and if so what are they need to be conected to, or do I just disreguard them?? Thanks Earl Blu Oval

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Brown and Blue wires

I checked my wiring diagrams in several different books, looking for your wires. First...the turn signal stalk does not dip the headlights. There is a large button on the floorboard, upper left corner, that controls the headlights up or down beams. Wiring from this switch is generally blue, white and blue, white and red or brown. The brown wire goes to the light switch on the dash from the dip switch on the floor.

Not being an electrician, my best guess is that the wires you inquired about are related to the operation of your turn signals front and rear. Without them properly hooked up you won't have turn signals.

I know that wiring diagrams are a pain to decipher, but I think you will need one before you go much further with this project. Good luck.

Rootes 66

Donation Time
Guys you're looking at the RHD wiring diagram, the flasher facility wasn't used on the LHD export models, in the WM there is addition see attached.
Pete

Attachments

• lh drive.jpg
    lh drive.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 15

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim, Pete, I think the issue was that the harness he was using DID have the wires for the Headlamp flash on the column switch for RHD cars. But of course his LHD car did not have that type switch, so the wires were unneeded. He has taped them up.

And Pete, he does have a wiring diagram- I included in my previous reply a link to the one on our site !

Tom

Rootes 66

Donation Time
Tom
The attachment I posted is the LHD addition that is missing on your link. I thought it may be of some assistance to anyone reading the post that doesn't have access to a WSM.
Pete

bluoval

Donation Time
dip switch

I am trying to rely on memory from 45 years ago when I had a 62 alpine left drive, as I remember the high low beam switch was on the floor and the turn sig lever just flashed the lights.But I'm not sure .. The lever could have switched hi low beam as well as the turn sig. My series V has no provisions for this flash or hi low beam change via the lever.. other than the switch having the brown and blue wires coming out of it but no trip mechanism on the Turn sig mechanism. that leads me to belive that the brown and blue wire are not of any use.. As Tom stated... Earl blu oval

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Earl, your description is exactly how I interpret the wiring drawing. The floor switch is used for switching Hi/ Lo beams on both LHD and RHD versions, but the dwg also shows the extra wires and switch for flashing the headlights.

Pete, The drawing I linked DOES show the headlight flasher wires - that's how I knew what Earl's issue was. See the brown wire and the Blue/Wht wire going to the Flasher Switch. But it does not say they are for RHD only, so your attachment is helpful.

Tom

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
So if you were to install the turn signal switch for RHD, then you could wire up the headlight flash?

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike , if you have a turn signal switch that has the extra 2 wires (Blu/Wht and Brown), and that has the extra motion (tilts toward you as well as goes clockwise and CCW, and your wiring harness includes the 2 extra wires, then yes, just hook 'em up.

But I cannot confirm that all switches from a RHD drive car has those extra terminals or that extra action. Nor am I sure that all wiring harnesses have the extra wires.

Tom