• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

British term (flat)

66Alpine

Donation Time
hey everyone,

I am trying to get my 150cd strom's synchronized and the manual( workshop) 3 flats = 1/4 turn... Now the manual says to turn the throttle screw 2 and 1/4 turns... Is a turn 360degrees as it would seem logical to me or am I misconstruing American terminology with British terms?

any help would be appreciated... Thanx,

Johnny

Wombat

Donation Time
Johnny,

I would read "flat" as one flat of the hexagon screw (1/6 turn). I cannot find that term used in my manuals (Probably different to the one you have)

The procedure that worked for me with my Hillman Hunter GT (essentially the same engine as the Series V) was:

Loosen the connecting bolts on the linkage between the two carbs
Back off both idle speed screws so they are clear of the stops.
Screw the idle speed screws in until they just make contact with the stops (you pick this by putting a piece of paper between the screw and the stop)
Screw the idle screws in by 2 full turns (full 360 deg turns)
Start the engine and synchronise the carbs by small adjustments on one or the other idle screws (maybe 1/8 of a turn at a time and let the engine settle)
When both carbs are making the same hiss as you hear it in the rubber hose, or have the same reading on the synchronising meter, stop the engine and tighten the connection on the linkage and adjust idle speed to what seems right (850 - 900 rpm)

Then go for a drive and enjoy it!

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Robert, Thanks for explaining that in an elementary method, Hey I think I understand it:D

Tom J

66Alpine

Donation Time
the flat turn

Thank you Robert for the info about the flat turn.. I will give it a shot tomorrow.

Johnny

Wombat

Donation Time
Just remember though, if your valves are not adjusted correctly it will be impossible to sync the carbs.

Wholeheartedly agree with Jeff on this. The order I did things in a tune up was:

Clean/replace points
Set ignition timing
Set valave clearances
Set/check mixture
Synchronise Carbs.