• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Break Down and Starter Issue

In the one photo it appears the custom alternator bracket is making contact with the radiator hose. I could see a leak developing over time from vibrations and engine movement.

Mike

Scotty,
Looking at your pictures, your plastic fuel filter is mounted high and close to the hot(ish) parts of the engine. May be ok, but mine is mounted before the fuel pump and it is metal. For me it reduces the risk of melting and leaking fuel on hot metal. Just a thought.

Can you show me a pic and tell me which model filter you're using?

Where to position jackstands: I position mine where the front of the A arm meets the cross member. The stand is nestled in place and cannot slip, no damage has ensued over these many years.
Bill

Can you show me a pic and tell me which model filter you're using?
Not suggesting this particular filter, just a picture to represent the type I suggested.

In the one photo it appears the custom alternator bracket is making contact with the radiator hose. I could see a leak developing over time from vibrations and engine movement.

Mike
I realized that it was too close to the hose the other day too and was more fearful that its so tall that it might throw off the engine somehow. It was an emergency fix while I waited for the new one to come in the mail; I changed it out for an adjustable rod styled strap. Just finished redoing the way I had the Alternator attached to the bracket and the Alpine runs totally different.

Not suggesting this particular filter, just a picture to represent the type I suggested.

Gotcha. Thank you so much! I'm thinking about running the fuel line around the back of the engine to the Weber but I'm concerned with how hot the manifold below it might be. Just drove the Alpine a few miles out and back and adjusted the Weber and the fuel in the pump was bubbling at 155 degrees C. Caused a little hard starting in the carport when I got back.

If you're thinking of changing filters, I'll suggest the Wix brand of that style.

I'm not sure if you are using 1/4 or 5/16 inch line, so here are both part numbers.

1/4 inch is 33031

5/16 inch is 33032

Hope this helps,

Last edited:
I realized that it was too close to the hose the other day too and was more fearful that its so tall that it might throw off the engine somehow. It was an emergency fix while I waited for the new one to come in the mail; I changed it out for an adjustable rod styled strap. Just finished redoing the way I had the Alternator attached to the bracket and the Alpine runs totally different.

Gotcha. Thank you so much! I'm thinking about running the fuel line around the back of the engine to the Weber but I'm concerned with how hot the manifold below it might be. Just drove the Alpine a few miles out and back and adjusted the Weber and the fuel in the pump was bubbling at 155 degrees C. Caused a little hard starting in the carport when I got back.
I have a metal fuel line running from the fuel pump to my Weber, using the same route you are currently using.
Did you mean 155 degrees Fahrenheit?

Mike's mention of vibrations made me think about my motor mounts. These are the front ones, do they look ok? How do know visually when they're bad? My engine shakes a little but its not violent. Should the engines not vibrate at all?
IMG_5894.jpegIMG_5896 (1).jpeg

Mike's mention of vibrations made me think about my motor mounts. These are the front ones, do they look ok? How do know visually when they're bad? My engine shakes a little but its not violent. Should the engines not vibrate at all?
View attachment 32231View attachment 32232

Inline 4-cylinder engines without balance shafts shake; it is the nature of the beast. The purpose of elastomeric engine mounts is to reduce the amount of engine vibration that is transferred to the chassis. The engine mounts in the pictures show the classic signs of a long / hard life. Surface cracking, separation from the metal mounting plates, etc. and should probably be replaced in the near future. The available replacements seem to be less flexible than the originals.

There are threads on the forum about the replacement engine mounts' rubber compound being too hard. I think Rootes Parts Service in Holland may still be the only seller with soft engine mounts.

Mike

Ordered new motor mounts just to be on the safe side. I'm working out the Alternator bracketry and just about got it right. Got a big ziptie on the wires to keep them out of the way but am going to cover them with a piece of hose to help protect them.

How does the rockers, tappets, etc. look and sound? They are adjusted Intake .012, Exhaust .014

Last edited:
Ordered new motor mounts just to be on the safe side. I'm working out the Alternator bracketry and just about got it right. Got a big ziptie on the wires to keep them out of the way but am going to cover them with a piece of hose to help protect them.

How does the rockers, tappets, etc. look and sound? They are adjusted Intake .012, Exhaust .014

It looks dry. Is there oil being pumped to and through the rockers?

It looks dry. Is there oil being pumped to and through the rockers?
There is. It's all over the pushrods and valve springs and even got on manifold of the engine with the valve cover off. You can see it dump oil like crazy along the length of the underside of the rocker tower too. I took the video before pouring some motor oil over the rocker tower when I realized I probably should do that.

Just kind of concerned about its sound and movement. Since adjusting them twice now (each time adjusting once cold and then readjusting them hot), it sounds different and quieter and I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

Last edited:
If the Hitachi is loose, check the tightness of the bolts holding the bracket to the block. I had to retighten my bolts twice after installing the Hitachi.

Husky Drvr, you sounded surprised that his head has dual valve springs. All Series Alpines have them. Have you come across a single-spring?

Beyond the comment nsbluenose made, how do the rockers and tappets look and sound in the video? Does the entire thing sound right or am I missing something? I'm really new to this and I want to make sure I do the job right and not kill the poor car.

Husky Drvr, you sounded surprised that his head has dual valve springs. All Series Alpines have them. Have you come across a single-spring?

R-R,

Kinda - sorta maybe.

Not because Scotty's head has dual springs, but because of the late date head with dual springs. That caused me to reconsider a memory formed more than fifty years ago. At this point, I can't recall why I was thinking sV's transitioned to single springs, but also never had a reason to investigate that thought.

Probably just a simple blurring of an un-exercised memory over time. There's no telling how many magazine articles and online discussions about valve trains and parts I've tried to digest in fifty years. The reason why I try to find an original source to quote, usually.

Have a good evening,

Beyond the comment nsbluenose made, how do the rockers and tappets look and sound in the video? Does the entire thing sound right or am I missing something? I'm really new to this and I want to make sure I do the job right and not kill the poor car.
It sounds alright and looked ok on the video, but it’s really hard to judge it that way. Do a compression test, take it for a drive it get it hot and recheck the valve clearances. If everything is in speck, button it up and enjoy.

Update:

Drove the Alpine today, ran ok to work. Driving back it did the exact same thing as before. Pulled to the side of the road. Restarted it and it fired right up. Huh. Put it in gear, gave it gas, died. Hm. Popped the hood and saw bubbles all along the top side (side facing the engine) in the glass of the fuel pump. I let the bubbles go away, which took about 5-10 minutes, restarted and it fired back up. Got about two blocks before the car wobbled and died. Rode the clutch so I could pull it aside safely. I limped the car home in this manner and got the car going fast enough so that I could coast it the last three blocks and turn it into my carport. I should be mad but I figure if you're going to live the adventure, do it in an Alpine.

Makes me feel SO MUCH BETTER about the lingering fear of burnt valves or any other madness that could befall this beloved car. Pain in the ass but I love this car dearly.

I'm assuming my problem is actually needing a new fuel pump. If so, are there alternatives that I can walk into a parts store and get? I got the occasional bubble in the pump before but now the pump looks like it's got a tiny scuba diver in it. I intend to just yank and rebuild this one and reroute the fuel like while I'm at it with a Wix Filter on it. What are y'all thoughts on this?

Update:

Drove the Alpine today, ran ok to work. Driving back it did the exact same thing as before. Pulled to the side of the road. Restarted it and it fired right up. Huh. Put it in gear, gave it gas, died. Hm. Popped the hood and saw bubbles all along the top side (side facing the engine) in the glass of the fuel pump. I let the bubbles go away, which took about 5-10 minutes, restarted and it fired back up. Got about two blocks before the car wobbled and died. Rode the clutch so I could pull it aside safely. I limped the car home in this manner and got the car going fast enough so that I could coast it the last three blocks and turn it into my carport. I should be mad but I figure if you're going to live the adventure, do it in an Alpine.

Makes me feel SO MUCH BETTER about the lingering fear of burnt valves or any other madness that could befall this beloved car. Pain in the ass but I love this car dearly.

I'm assuming my problem is actually needing a new fuel pump. If so, are there alternatives that I can walk into a parts store and get? I got the occasional bubble in the pump before but now the pump looks like it's got a tiny scuba diver in it. I intend to just yank and rebuild this one and reroute the fuel like while I'm at it with a Wix Filter on it. What are y'all thoughts on this?
I use a small 2.5-4.0 psi electric fuel pump mounted on the inner fender. Works great and reliable, also inexpensive. Easy and quick to replace, I carry a spare.

Back