1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

Brake upgrade

Discussion in 'Modified Alpine' started by Floor guy, Jul 15, 2022.

1. Floor guy

Floor guy Donation Time

I have a 1966 series v. I plan on upgrading the brakes. What is the best and easiest master cylinder upgrade? I have seen the wilwood master and also have seen various other ones dual reservoir setups. Will a front disk upgrade for a tiger work on a alpine? Speedway has a kit for a tiger that is basically a wilwood setup.

2. DanR

DanR Diamond Level Sponsor

What engine are you running?

Reason for asking is the carburetor spacing between it and the firewall.

Not much clearance in some cases.

I find very little need to even consider changing the stock front brake system.

The Alpine has a good disc brake system IMO.

Perhaps you should consider taking a good look at the rear!

3. Floor guy

Floor guy Donation Time

1725 My front system is completely locked up. The wheels spin but I cant push the brake pedal at all.

4. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane Gold Level Sponsor

I am planning on running the stock front disks on my alger project, but I think I will convert the postal jeep rear end to disks as well.

5. Barry

Barry Platinum Level Sponsor

Not being able to push the brake pedal at all most likely indicates that the master cylinder is corroded / frozen. If the master cylinder is OK (unlikely at best), the other possibilities include a corroded / frozen brake booster or corroded / frozen front calipers.

Wilwood says the P/N 140-11743 front brake kit is "Tiger Only." The only significant difference between the late Alpine and Tiger front suspension is that the Alpine is rear-steer and the Tiger is front-steer which means a different steering arm. I suspect that the late Alpine steering arm could be made to work with the Wilwood Tiger brake kit, but I do not know of anyone who has done so. I would ask Wilwood before spending $1,500 for a brake setup that might not work.

DanR likes this.
  6. DanR

DanR Diamond Level Sponsor

Floor Guy, Barry gives sound advice (as usual).

If your Alpine has been sitting for a while the master cylinder could easily have frozen from corrosion.

Disconnect the pressure line from the cylinder and try pushing the pedal.

Removal may be most expedient method.