• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brake pads for 1962 Alpine?

Chazbeam

Silver Level Sponsor
OK so i have this ongoing saga with my Pads and drum brakes where every time i order them from some supply house using the model year of my Alpine (1962 series 2) i get these shoes and pads that don't resemble anything i have and do not fit.....??????
I have searched online with barely anything resembling them other than some picture and going to the parts page they are completely different ..WHAT GIVES??? am i missing something? they have a tapered front edge if pointing into center of hub. Almost like a wedge shape to them. I hear some talk about using a different set of calipers on the alpine. So is this a thing everyone is doing? or are the pads still available? anyone know? I cant be the only one!.. I have perfectly good rebuilt calipers that have been flawlessly running for years. Am i screwed? (scratching head)??
These pictures show the difference..

Attachments

• brake pads1.jpg
    brake pads1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 28
  • ch.jpg
    ch.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 29

Chazbeam

Silver Level Sponsor
Can you show us a pic of what your drum brakes look like on your SII?
I only found pads in UK but not rear drums yet,,,so yes i can snap a picture and post it..and thanks for the replay...ill have to pull the rear wheel but it might take a day or so to get to it ..MUCH appreciated!!

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Update..OK found some in the UK...yeah!!!!

Just noticed you're in LA. I'm up by SF. Did you reach out to Rick at SS about this? I know he's out of stock on quite a bit of things right now... What source did you find?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Brake pads should be the same as MGC, TR4, TR6, Datsun Z and 74-83 Toyota 2WD pickups, if you have the same calipers as stock.

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Front pad list comes from Porterfield brakes. They will reline your rear shoes too. Early Capri pads should work if you drill the cotter holes out. As far as I know, the only difference in the calipers is the 3.5" mounting for early and 3.25" mounting for late.

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Rockauto also shows 60-67 Sunbeam Alpine and 64-67 Tiger, and Ford Cortina and Triumph GT6 pads as fitting.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Here is what I know from owning a series 2 for the last 45 years, series 1 and 2 do not use the same pads as series 3 to 5 and series 3 to 5 pads will not fit series 1 and 2. In the pictures Chazbeam posted, the first picture is of a series 1 and 2 the second picture looks like series 3 to 5. Series 1 and 2 pads do not have holes.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
products-MGC-KIT.jpg I believe you and Rick. I wonder if the ones I cross referenced could be modified/ground to fit. Maybe replacement calipers are MGC calipers which have the same 3.5" mounting but use the later pads? The later pads do use cotter keys and are more rectangular. Pic of MGC caliper:

Last edited:

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
The calipers look the same on the outside, it's the inside that is different, they even use the same pistons and seals. Here is a picture of my series 2 calipers were you can see the shape the pads would need to be.
i-pfcmjs9-XL.jpg