• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brake Fluid Canges

Jaars

Gold Level Sponsor
A Sunbeam had Dot 5(silicon) brake fluid, for unexplained reasons this was changed to Dot 4. I like to go back to Dot 5! Dot 5 worked well for me, also doesn't attack the paint if spilled or leaked.
Question: can I blow out the Dot4 with air, and fill up with Dot 5, or do I need to do much more?? I don't see a reason to dismantle the whole system.
What's the advise. Thanks, Robert

alpine_64

Donation Time
Robert, comom concenus is that if you start the system on silicone it's fine and the rubber lines are OK with it ( though many people feel it kills the pressure switches)

If you use for 4 always it's fine...

Apparently of you switch from dot 4 to a silicone fluid the rubber lines don't like it.... You went from silicone to dot 4 mineral... Not sure the lines will like the switch back... You might want to power bleed and flush the lines ???

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
A Sunbeam had Dot 5(silicon) brake fluid, for unexplained reasons this was changed to Dot 4. I like to go back to Dot 5! Dot 5 worked well for me, also doesn't attack the paint if spilled or leaked.
Question: can I blow out the Dot4 with air, and fill up with Dot 5, or do I need to do much more?? I don't see a reason to dismantle the whole system.
What's the advise. Thanks, Robert

You definitely need to blow the lines. You do not need 100 pounds pressure.
45 pounds is fine. I,would add a bit of the si.icone fluid and blow that out as well

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Why 5? I have used Castrol brake fluid for 40 years and no problem. Castrol is now 100% synthetic which dose not work on your paint by the way, the silicon fluid is much over kill unless you are racing the car. The silicon fluid at low temps well also jell up in the system. :confused:

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Why 5? I have used Castrol brake fluid for 40 years and no problem. Castrol is now 100% synthetic which dose not work on your paint by the way, the silicon fluid is much over kill unless you are racing the car. The silicon fluid at low temps well also jell up in the system. :confused:

I used the silicon on the Lister clone from day one.of course everything regarding the brakes were new. Never had a problem
The 62 still has ordinary brake fluid. Won't change as to my way of thinking I would replace all the rubber in the system.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
One other comment I should make is if any painting needs to be done down the road , well lets just say it is a bear! :cool: :eek:

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
One other comment I should make is if any painting needs to be done down the road , well lets just say it is a bear! :cool: :eek:

George
Do,you mean in the engine compartment?
You can get a rattle can mixed. Use a long nozzle tubefrom some other spray can stuck in the opening.. Been there and done that. Works for hard to get at spots. Paint can come out quickly.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Chuck I was referring to the silicon, the area around the break master as well if you spill any will cause massive fish eye when painting, I learned the hard way on this in order to get paint to flow right you have to use silicon in the paint and that causes more problems. :cool:

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Chuck I was referring to the silicon, the area around the break master as well if you spill any will cause massive fish eye when painting, I learned the hard way on this in order to get paint to flow right you have to use silicon in the paint and that causes more problems. :cool:

Don't knowstill available.or a similar product.Years ago we used fish eye eliminator but that was for lacquer.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time

More
You could use grease and wax remover. Apply generously and pressure wash
Then use strong TSP and wash a couple of times followed by pressure washing each time

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Fish eye eliminator is silicon, and when used the paint flows like crap, thus new problems, it is very hard to deal with. :cool:

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Fish eye eliminator is silicon, and when used the paint flows like crap, thus new problems, it is very hard to deal with. :cool:

Never had to,deal with a fish eye problem with auto paints so cannot comment
Cleaning and cleaning is first and most important.
Never heard of adding Silicone to any paint. I still,would not add Silicone
I'm an old school painter of some 50 years plus experience.Have painted a few cars in my time

Still an interesting subject. I think I will do a bit of research.

Alpine66

Donation Time
I only use 3 or 4 unless its spec'd for the car.
5 has its own idiosyncrasies to deal with, and unless its severe duty like racing not my choice.