• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Bob Weights for 2.8 V6 Ford Engine

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Any one balanced a 2.8 V6 Ford Engine ?

I need the weights.

I did a search for 'bob weights" but did not find what I was looking for on balancing my engine.

kmathis

Donation Time
Hi, Dan:

Are you talking about balancing the rotating assembly on you 2.8? If it is; that is a process, that the machine shop does, by weighing all of the rotating components, and adding weight or removing weight to make them all weigh the same; then they balance the crank, flywheel, and crank pulley.:)

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Kelly, That is what I am asking about!

My Machine Shop does alot of racing engines and other types of stuff But has not balanced a 2.8 V6 in more than twenty years.

That is why I'm looking around trying to locate them.

Yes, I want the complete Engine Assembly balanced. They need the "Bob Weights to continue with the process.

Any help in this matter is appreciated.

kmathis

Donation Time
Maybe, someone else can chime in on this one, my engine was balanced; they drilled a hole or two on the counterweights of the crankshaft, to remove weight, drilled another hole and filled it with a heavier metal and welded that in to add weight, and did the same on the rest of the rotating assembly till it was balanced. I have never heard of a particular component to add or remove weight.:confused: Which doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but my engine shop didn't ask for anything extra. I must say, though, that the old man that did my engine, is an old school race engine builder for about 45 years, and relies on very tried and true methods that he has been practicing for a long time, so these "bob weights" could be something that is for later engines...maybe?
Also, the amount of weight that usually needs to be added or removed, is very slight.:)

kmathis

Donation Time
So, you learn something new everyday, the "Bob Weight" isn't an item, it is a term for the crankshaft counter weight that is opposite of the accumulated weight of the rod, piston, and wrist pin. All kinds of interesting items on that web site.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
So Dan, when they ask for the Bob Weights are they simply asking for the numbers - in other words, what are the "bob weight" values for your crank?

Or are they yanking your chain? My brother when he was in the Navy on an airdraft carrier told me it was a common joke to ask a newbie to go to the stockroom and get some "prop wash"

And yeah, this was in the 60s when they still had a few prop planes on carriers

Tom

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
No these Guys are for real! They are not yanking my Chain, like go get a left hande monkey wrench:rolleyes:

The Bob Weights are "weights" utilized to balance the engine assy.

I'm attempting to "locate" the weights that some Shop has that are not using or may "Loan" to us or even sell if it gets to that.

I can see where my shop will need them for at least three (3) engines for me alone.

Perhaps you guys will ask 'your" shop guys if they are willing to loan out their "bobs" for the Ford 2.8 V6.

Maybe you can scout around and find some machine shop that has them but no longer using for lack of demand (fewer and fewer 2.8 ford engines).

Last edited:

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Typically, bob weights are adjustable. All the pistons and rods are balanced then you take one rod and weigh it, add the weight of one of the pistons and one set of rings with one wrist pin with a set of rod bearings. The totals of all of these are added to the bobweights. After you have the same amount of weight on all the crank journals, you can spin it up to balance the crank.

Jose

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi Jose.

So, are 'bob weights' a physical object you can hold in your hand or are they simply a figure on paper of the total weights of different engine parts? I'm thinking the latter.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
So, the bob weights are used to represent the piston, pin and rod weight during the crank balancing process, is that right? They are not left on the crank.

I know when I had motorcycle stuff done I just gave the whole deal to the machine shop: crank, pistons, pins rods; then let them figure it out. From google it looks like most bob weights are adjustable and not specific to an application so maybe Tom's onto something and they want the value to use (in which case giving them the piston/rod/pin would give them the info). Either that or they don't have the appropriate range of weights for your engine?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Bob weights are physical objects that bolt to the crank journals, representing the weight of all the parts I mentioned, so the crank will be spinning the exact weight it wil be spinning while in the block.

The 60 degree V6s are a naturally balanced engines, and are pretty smooth stock, but when balanced, they almost become as smooth as an electric motor.

There is only one way to calibrate the bob weights, and that is to have the weight of all the reciprocating parts, then making all the bob weights weigh exactly the same

Jose

Hi Jose.

So, are 'bob weights' a physical object you can hold in your hand or are they simply a figure on paper of the total weights of different engine parts? I'm thinking the latter.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
My Machine Buddy found some thursday in Cali or Wash state not sure where but they wanted $1500 for a set to do the ford 2.8 V6 (and they are reusable). My guys have different kinds hanging on the machine wall for use on the smc and other type engines.

Costly! but required if you want an engine to run smoothly. And that is what I want! Help me locate some, please.

The Shop in Charlotte, NC has closed. I'm still looking for help.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Bob weights are physical objects that bolt to the crank journals, representing the weight of all the parts I mentioned, so the crank will be spinning the exact weight it wil be spinning while in the block.

The 60 degree V6s are a naturally balanced engines, and are pretty smooth stock, but when balanced, they almost become as smooth as an electric motor.

There is only one way to calibrate the bob weights, and that is to have the weight of all the reciprocating parts, then making all the bob weights weigh exactly the same

Jose

Interesting, thanks.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Anyone in the SE Area have a 2.8 V6 Ford engine balanced?

From South Carolina to Charlotte, NC,.... Johnson City, Tenn,.... Atlanta, Ga,.... Jacksonville, Fla... How about Dallas, Tx.... Kansas???

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike, I logged on the sites and made a search for Balancing a 2.8 V6 Ford engine. No response. Tried a couple other searches but still nothing.
Thanks for the suggestion,

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I found some specs. Scroll down the list to Ford.
http://www.hinesindustries.com/documents/reciprocalmass.pdf
And found V6 bobweights on the same site.
http://www.hinesindustries.com/balancing-equipment/bobweights.shtml

Poke around on the site. Some interesting stuff here.

They do balancing, too.
http://www.hinesindustries.com/services/balancing-service.shtml

And an interesting article on balancing.

http://www.circletrack.com/enginetech/ctrp_0504_engine_balancing_tech_terminology/viewall.html

And you might check these guys. The modded a 2.9 crank for me.
http://www.standardcrankshaft.com/

Last edited: