• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Bob Hoover's BLOG-Engines/aircraft/cars...

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
Jan
Don't tell me that you build home builts! I thought you were wiser than that. :D

Paul

Nickodell

Donation Time
Bob Hoover is to flying what Michael Schumacher (7 time world Grand Prix champion) is to driving. Apart from piloting the pace plane for virtually every National Air Races event for the past 40 years, he is an accomplished stunt pilot.

And not just with special stunt planes. Give him a well-built plane and he'll do amazing things with it. I once saw him at Cape May, NJ (the only time they held the NA Races away from Reno) put a Rockwell Turbo Commander, a large twin-engine 8-seat executive plane through an incredible series of manoeuvers, including a 16-point hesitation roll (the plane is held briefly at 16 points in conducting a complete aeleon roll), loops, etc., and then most of them with one engine out. His piece de resistance was to cut both engines, perform another roll and loop with the remaining momentum, then land on one wheel, then the other, finally on both and then taxi up to the commentator's stand. True, he rolled to a stop (with the cabin door open, trying to "air paddle" the plane along) a few feet short.

Aero_Commander.jpg

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nick, as he says in his Bio, not THAT Bob Hoover. This is just another goober that has wide interests and writes about them.

Jan, I hope the info you got about the VW engines is better than that crap he put out about VW's that REQUIRE a four ply (actual count) tire. I think the tire industry dropped actual count before his bus was even made.

Bill

Nickodell

Donation Time
Bill: Aaaagh! As the late beloved Gilda Radner used to say, "Never mind!"
Pesonally, if I were the lesser Bob Hoover I'd let everyone think I were the famous one.

Wombat

Donation Time
I have only seen the video of Bob Hoover flying the Commander, but the part that sticks in the memory is when he put a glass on the top of the instrument panel and filled in from a jug while doing a barrel roll. Didn't spill a drop!

Nickodell

Donation Time
I have only seen the video of Bob Hoover flying the Commander, but the part that sticks in the memory is when he put a glass on the top of the instrument panel and filled in from a jug while doing a barrel roll. Didn't spill a drop!

Did you ever see the video of the Boeing test pilot who rolled the prototype of the then new 707 back in, what was it, 1958? It was totally unauthorized, of course, and he didn't tell anyone he was going to do it, just did it.

www.aviationexplorer.com/707_roll_video.htm

Wombat

Donation Time
Nick

I saw that or something similar in a documentry on the TV. There was also a clip of the prototype 747 being tested. They were taking off and over rotated the aircraft so the rear of the fuselage was dragging on the ground, and continued to do so until airborne. Apparently, that is a test done on all passenger jets.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Paul: No matter how many times you see it it still makes the blood curdle. Ant this pilot was known for years to be a suicidal hotshot but the Air Force wouldn't ground him. No doubt the senior officers involved (except the ones killed) all got promoted.

In a similar vein; back in the 1980s my wife worked for General Electric Space Division, and used to make overseas trips, including to Japan. She generally took the same flight each time on Japan Air Lines, usually a couple of times a year. On the same flight at a time (luckily) when she wasn't traveling, the captain decided to do a kamikaze dive into Tokyo Bay. The co-pilot and flight engineer struggled to get him off the controls, finally braining him with a fire extinguisher. Seems that he (the captain) had been nuts for years but as he was one of the airline's most senior captains, and because of the Japanese reverence for age, nobody thought to ground him either. They just hoped that he's reach the mandatory retirement age of 60 before he killed someone.

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
Robert
I have seen the same video and I think yo are correct, all new airline designs have to be able to successfully drag the tail and still take off. :eek: Some of the attitudes they are in are very scary.

Paul

Wombat

Donation Time
Paul,

I have just checked one of my books, and it seems that the dragging of the tail is anither lesson that was learnt from the DH Comet. Before the famous mid-air disintegrations, two crashed on take off because they were over-rotated and had the wing at a high drag andle of attack. The engines of the time couldn't accelerate the plane to normal flying speed. According to this book modern passenger aircraft need to be able to take off while dragging the tail and with an engine failure. Would be challenging in a big twin like a 777.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Actually, modern twins like the 757,767 and 777 have so much reserve power that losing an engine on takeoff generally doesn't pose much of a problem to an alert crew. Last November a Malaysia Airlines 777 with 300 people on board lost several engine parts during takeoff from Stockholm, forcing it to return. The plane, which was headed to Kuala Lumpur, turned around after dumping fuel and landed safely at Stockholm's Arlanda airport.

Admittedly, scraping the tail at the same time would be alarming, but shouldn't prevent a takeoff unless the crew went mad and held the control columns back so far that they lost lift and flying speed. Tail scraping, other than deliberately during certification trials, is exceptionally rare, and tends to jeopardise a pilot's career.

The Handley-Page Victor that I crewed in my RAF days occasionally did it because of the curious planform of the wings (crescent) and frequent exercizes to achieve a "Four Minute Takeoff," during the high-alert times like the Cuban Missile Crisis, which involved sprinting to the aircraft, starting engines and performing a "rolling takeoff" - actually speeding up on the taxiway and beginning the takeoff roll before entering the runway itself - in order to be airborne in 240 seconds from the alarm going off (instead of the usual 25 minutes). The Victor had a small wheel similar to a nose gear wheel under the tail which acted to protect the fuselage in the event the pilot was a little too enthusiastic in rotating.

We performed this miracle for the US Gen. Norstadt who was visiting the base one time as part of a tour in his capacity as NATO Commander-in-Chief. Unfortunately, it was raining and the plane in front of us hot-dogged the turn onto the runway just a little too fast, skidding off into the mud and jamming it for the rest of us. Norstadt was not too impressed.:eek:

A funny thing about his visit. We'd been expecting him to arrive in the very latest of US jet, like a USAF B707. What he actually came in was a venerable piston-engined Lockheed Constellation.