• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Bob Avery Harrington For Sale on Ebay

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Would a Lemans roof section fit a finned Alpine? If not, how would one go about acquiring the tail section of a Lemans?

This discussion wouldn't be half as interesting if they would have made a few thousand Harringtons so at least a few more could own one. A Harrington is way out of my budgeted lifestyle, and a "rebody" doesn't seem to affect their market price at all if that beautiful orange one is any indication. I wished I would have bought that Harrington project a while back. Had the money then also. Just didn't do it. I think it lasted in the ad section about two days, or even less. I think everything everyone has said here is true and great spot on information as is customary of this exceptional group. I wouldn't, however, wish anyone that loves and owns a Sunbeam to do anything but carry on.

alpine_64

Donation Time
for those owners that have never done a full, bare metal restoration of a sunbeam it would be difficult to understand why some would rebody a car. it also would be difficult for some of you that have never seen this car to understand the quality of this car. i've set in the driver seat of this car and for some reason it felt like i was in a harrington. it felt like a sunbeam seat. HEY! it is a harrington! trust me when i say there are several rebodied harringtons out there. i know where some of them are! i am the owner of three harringtons and i may even have one of them. i really don't care. i hope those of you that complain about rebodied cars never need an organ transplant. you would say no to that because it's not original! i hope the new owner takes care of this car and doesn't act like a two year old complaining about what someone else owns.this goes for all of the self appointed experts out there. some should give us all a break and buy another marque of car other than a sunbeam.

Bob i'd like to thank you for consolidating our point.. and obviously not reading anything anyone has said.

Everyone has said what a lovely, well restored and beautiful car this Sunbeam is, I have not been lucky enough to see it in person, but know people who have and have been told how nice it is, and the photos also tell that story as well.

On the organ transplant crack.. you do a great job of making our point.. we are not complaining about originality.. but identity. In fact a point I made on another forum which you frequent.

Lets say dear big Bob is lying in the hospital all organs clogged and failing... needs a new heart, lung and kidney... Barack Obama donates all said organs to Big Bob... You don't suddenly become Barack Obama president of the USA.. you don't suddenly become black, you are still the same big Bob with some parts from someone else in you..

Same goes for the car.. The original car that raced at Sebring was scrapped.. parts were saved and transplanted into another Sunbeam.. It doesn't suddenly make the second alpine the one that raced at sebring, it has never turned a lap there, .. it makes it an alpine that has had many of the original Sebring Harrington parts and now is restored to recreate it

There is no harm in what has been done as the seller is being open about it (on the VIN/Engine re stamping.. well it was not done to defraud.. but might not want to mention it to the DLVA as they might start to get involved)

It's a great car .. as we all agree.. but apart from the roof and a few other parts, its not the car that raced at sebring. I hope the new buyer enjoys it, shows it.. and hopefully races the heck out of it.. it would be great to see such a good looking car out in the field.. and these early finned Harringtons are really good looking

65beam

Donation Time
harrington

unlike the A,C andD types the lemans is entirely different in how the roof is installed. the lemans had most of the entire rear end of the car cut away. only a small portion of the lower rear fenders was used. the rear valance was left untouched. it was cut starting at the level of the door handle. the cut of the body sets behind the side moulding on the car and it also is cut under the vertical piece at the back of the car. a lip was bent on the fender to allow the top to be bolted to the body. filler was used to cover the seam and blended into the top and also the fenders. the back of the top sets over the rear valance and has wood spacers between the body valance and top with long metal screws holding it. there was a gap between the top and body. i have saved some large chunks of the filler from when we separated the moonstone car back in the 80's. the original filler appeared to have metal in it. the roof had the soft top clips holding it to the windshield but a small wood screw was used to prevent unclipping the roof. the center winshield bolt was also removed and a hole was drilled and tapped to allow a 1/4-28 bolt to be used in the center of the windshield frame. this allows the windshield frame to be tipped back for removal. it requires some flexing and raising of the top to remove the frame. the trunk area was left untouched, but since the area where the trunk hinges ,top boot doors etc was removed a wood piece was cut to cover the spare tire and also fill in the rear hatch area. this was hinged to allow it to be raised to get to the spare tire and jack area. on one of my cars the original cover was made of a fiber board. the other two have plywood. the other types retained the rear wings and the top was bolted to the body with a rubber seal between the top and body. my understanding is that the lemans were the only harringtons built and intended to be sold by rootes dealers only. the lemans dash was the original series 2 dash, sanded flat and the formica covering glued to it. a plywood glove box door was cut and the same formica glued to it. the lemans required a lot more work to build.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Harrington Crushed

Dear fellow Sunbeam Members: back some tine ago ('90-92?) I was involved in land clearing, grading, and backhoe work.

I was running a D6 clearing land for a local owner of an Auto Salvage and had worked several days before I recognized a very rare vehicle being discussed here on the Forum.

It was a right "Nice" looking Red one. It was a complete car! No dents or rust.

The interior was showing a bit of abuse or simply just ignored.

I made inqiures to the owner in an effort to make a purchase.

At the time I ws owner of three Alpines and wanted this car.

I eventually raised my offer to $1000.00 and at the time above my budget and ability to pay!

All of my offers were refused.

What happened in a few more days while I worked angered me to the point of me loading up and leaving.

Yes, it was crushed for scrap with an approximate value of $100.00 to the Auto Salvage owner.

It was a rare Harrington.:eek:

I have regrets sure! But, probably one that bothers me much is that I did not get the VIIN numbers.

Happens that I ran into the owners son this past Wednesday and during the conversation He remember me trying to buy the Harrington and still does not know why His father crushed it!

65beam

Donation Time
ebay

michael,
it's amazing how this car drew a lot of attention at an early invasion and also a united. but some of you have picked and dug just to prove it's not what it is. what's the purpose??? why? why do you and others constantly have to bring up all the things you see wrong with a car? is it just to fuel your ego and tell yourself you know more than others? you did this on the UK site until they told you to bug off. learn to appreciate what others do to build a car and accept the fact that better judgement and common sense sometimes come into play. bob was a great guy and some of you have bashed what he did after he's gone. show some respect.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Dear Bob Webb.. the Sunbeam overlord of the world.. we all know you apparently know everything there is to know about Sunbeams.. yet so often cant get the simple things right.

Nobody has bashed the car.. the car is beautiful, the fact you cant see the difference between restoring a car and re-bodying is your issue. It is much easier and financially prudent to rebody a very rusty car, no argument there. But we are not talking separate chassis cars.. we are talking monocoque cars. When they get rusty its a lot of effort to rebuild them.. but that is THE car.

On some generic car like your alpines that nobody cares about.. i guess most people don't care.. but this was a car with a significant history. Perhaps as i have suggested several times.. you should go look at the sebring alpine that Steve Alcala restored.. have a look at the state it was in before restoration. Huge amounts of rust everywhere.. he could have done what someone like you would.. just grabbed another alpine.. switched some pats over .. what would he have? he would have another alpine.. someones road car with a few bits of a sebring car on it.. he spent the years rebuilding it because of what it was.

I love how you constantly claim to know what is invloved in restoring rusty cars.. when you have openly said you rebody them.. so i guess you DONT know whats invloved.. you avoid it.. and thank goodness you dont have any important cars.. because there would be nothing left of the orginal..

History is associated with a specific thing.. once its gone.. it's gone.

This car for sale has a history.. it was an Alpine that was used to save the parts of the Harrington that raced at Sebring. It was restored to recreate that car.. and it has a link with Bob Avery, a Sunbeam enthusiast.

As for the brit board.. you and Paul make great bedfellows.. I know exactly what the moderators think of you. and what their thoughts are on your contributions to their forum.. much like this one.

Bob.. i dont expect you to understand any of the above..in fact i seriously doubt you read peoples posts.. and if you do you sure dont comprehend what they say. You never back your claims up.. its ALL HOT AIR hence the bhb rep.. maybe you should gain some cred.. Andy Walker asked you for the evidence you claimed to have about retags.. you never ponied up.. same goes for the recent auto bell housing threads.. same goes for you saying if you have low oil pressure.. rev the car harder... what do you actually know bob?

Last i will post on this to you.. it's not like you can comprehend anything people day.. as you say in your own little love letters and PM's.. you post to "rattle cages" ... the funny thing is.. apparently our posts are upsetting you.. others have legitimate discussions research and embrace ideas.. you on the other hand post to just oppose.. no evidence, no logic and certainly no consistency.. and you do it to the point you will follow members to other forums.. PM, email and harass..

What amazes me is you apparently have been involved with Sunbeams sooooo long.. yet seem to know so little. :rolleyes:

Peace out bob.. this thread should return to discussions on the car.. not your usual sidetrack.

Ktapply

Donation Time
The rest of the story...

Received this afternoon from the family of Bob Avery...

From the Avery Family, thanks to all of you for your interest in the Sunbeam Alpine Harrington. A special thanks to all the folks that included pictures of their own Sunbeam Alpines, tigers and Lemans. The entire family enjoyed looking at your pictures of some truely lovely automobiles.
Bob Averys brothers, Gene and Grant have deceided to sell the car to a buyer who wishes to remain anonymous. We can say that Uncle Bobs Sunbeam Alpine Harrington will be headed back home to the United Kingdom. The family has been told that the car will be completely stripped and the question of the Harrington being a rebody will be answered diffinitively. Then after the Harrington is reassembled, it will be returned to its orginal home, the race track. We felt that this is what Uncle Bob would have wanted for his Harrington, and we look forward to seeing the number 55 once again, on the track.

Again thank you for your interest, words and pictures,
The Avery Family

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
There is an article about this car in today's Wall Street Journal. The new owner said he paid 6 figures for it at auction, on a rushed impulse. But looks like he is very happy. And as I pointed out above, even with a different body, some of the parts went around Sebring, and I'd certainly love to have this car.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
There is an article about this car in today's Wall Street Journal. The new owner said he paid 6 figures for it at auction, on a rushed impulse. But looks like he is very happy. And as I pointed out above, even with a different body, some of the parts went around Sebring, and I'd certainly love to have this car.

Good article. Do these links work for access to the story? If not, I saved it as a pdf, but there were a bunch of photos that don't seem to save.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-fo...-ferrari-flair-11602596978?st=6h0788s8sw7bxgp
https://www.wsj.com/articles/photos...-familyhistory-11602596863?st=vxe9yscde7lxzwi

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I was thinking they might be 14" too. Maybe that's what makes it look more than lowered.

I note that two eared knock offs. Yes, there are two eared that fit our car. But if those are MGB 14" wheels, the hubs may be different and the spinners could be MG.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Should be 13x5.5 dunlop comp wires.. The L section dunlop race tyres have very tall sidewalls that buldge and have a larger tread width.

cdk84

Donation Time
It's interesting and exciting that Ford Heacock III bought the Sebring Harrington. He had a childhood interest about cars that raced at Sebring from his father's involvement with promoting the Sebring event and he had the wherewithall to overbid all comers from the sale of his businesses, the magazine Vintage Motorsport and Heacock Insurance, both of which he founded and which supported vintage racing and vintage racers.

I can't think of a person better suited to have the satisfaction of owning and racing this car than Mr Heacock. I hope to see him at a vintage event in the future and to learn how he is enjoying the car on track, where it best belongs.