• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Bleeding a Clutch Master cylinder

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I had a Dickens of a time getting my clutch master to bleed. Jan said it was tough. Here is how I got to bleed after rebuilding the unit:
Filled the reservoir and disconnected the pipe from the slave cylinder. With a helper pumping the pedal, I had her depress the pedal, then plugged the end with my thumb and let her release. Did this about 4 times and got a good squirt (safety tip, point the pipe away from you....I know). Reconnected it to the slave cylinder and bleed normally. Worked great. Usually, just opening and closing the bleed tip on the slave will do this but I could not get it to work.
Oh, mine has a brass fitting in the Master that the pipe to the slave fits in. The one I have is too short, hence my original problem. It leaked through the threads. The fitting should have a gap on the end when tight, mine was all the way in. The correct fitting should be:
Length .660, 7/16-20 threads into the Master with 3/8-24 for the pipe end. I think Everco makes these with part number 3007B.

If someone answers this and says its B----t, do it this way, listen to him!!!!! Anyway, this worked for me and I can now drive my Alpine for once. Hope it helps.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I followed that plan pretty much to the letter with a new clutch master/down pipe/slave.

Got good fluid squirting out of the downpipe, then hooked it up and soon got good fluid out of the slave.

Topped off the master and called it a day.

To my surprise a few weeks later I tried the clutch and it has no pressure; the master was about empty.

What happened?

I dunno but will re-bleed, and this time test at the master cylinder port first, then test at the end of the downpipe, then the slave.

Allan

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
You are depressing me

I was very proud of myself for figuring this out. That's what has been happening to me on this thing. I did find the fitting leaking and cured it by using a copper washer to seal the fitting that I have that is too short. Probably not a good idea for brakes but this is a clutch. I am hoping my pressure loss was due to the short fitting that I have rather than that great unknown that visits me every night.... never mind.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I followed that plan pretty much to the letter with a new clutch master/down pipe/slave.

Got good fluid squirting out of the downpipe, then hooked it up and soon got good fluid out of the slave.

Topped off the master and called it a day.

To my surprise a few weeks later I tried the clutch and it has no pressure; the master was about empty.

What happened?

I dunno but will re-bleed, and this time test at the master cylinder port first, then test at the end of the downpipe, then the slave.

Allan

I believe this was posted to the wrong forum:( .

Can it be moved?

Allan