• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

BAT Alpine - Red Stripe

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-sunbeam-alpine-5/

Anyone here own this car? The ad says it is a 1600. But that's a 1725 head and carbs. If I recall correctly, putting a 1725 head on a 1600 block kills compression. So if you thought you were not impressed with the engine performance, that could be the issue. Do you have the engine number stamped on the block? That would help identify what block it is.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jay,

I think it's a 1725 block in the car. In the pic of the right side of the engine, you can just barely see the dipstick mounted in the block. His spare engine is certainly a 1725 due to the casting date and side of the block engine mount points.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Hmmm. Good catch. It's a shame about the bent bumper bracket, missing SU BEAM, questionable paint and rust repair, etc.

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
It's dressed up like an early series engine but has Stroms. Strange car. I like how they painted the lids black. Not going to do that myself, just never seen that done and it's a pretty neat idea. The listing name gave me whiplash lol. 62 SV? I get it but eh.

The cubby looks like something out of a Spy-Fi film. Was the po a secret agent? :)

alpine_64

Donation Time
I like how they painted the lids black. Not going to do that myself, just never seen that done and it's a pretty neat idea.

I think they are vynil trimmed as opposed to painted. Ive seen that on quite a few cars.. And also painted black... The trimed ones look better.. But need the chrome protection strips to prevent the trim being torn.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I can't believe it is over $9k. For that matter, I can't believe it is over $3k. Every part shows rust and corrosion, and as already pointed out, the sills are showing serious issues lurking underneath.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Sold for 9.5k..... Lets hope for the buyers sake that the car is much better than it appears....
Maybe they will turn up on the forum soon.... If they had joined the forum first they may have saved 9.5k... And a lot more to come....