• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

bad seals in cylinders

66Alpine

Donation Time
Quick question...Why would the seals or rings be bad in a car with only 50k?

Thanx again,

johnny

alpine_64

Donation Time
If the car wasnt driven properly when the motor was put together they may not have bedded the rings in properly.

If the car has been running rich it may have glazed the bores

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Poorly tuned engines often crack the fragile iron rings due to excessive ignition detonation.

#4 tends to be the cylinder that pings the most as it has the worst cooling.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
bad seals

Also poor maintenance can lead to premature wear. Not changing oil, etc. Also many Alpines have air filters designed to keep marbles and rocks out of the engine. Inhaling sand or dirt can rapidly increase wear.

Finally I would point out that metallurgy has made a lot of progress in the past 50 years. Modern rings are far superior to those 1960's units that are probably in your engine. Most modern cars burning oil need valve seals - piston rings normally seem to last the life of the car.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Modern rings are far superior to those 1960's units that are probably in your engine.
I would be careful making a quote like that. There's no telling for sure where these vendors are buying our parts from and what the ring material is. Todays ring material looks like a derivative of cast iron, and thats not saying much. Yes, iron rings will break in pretty quickly, but don't expect them to last 100k miles. That's foolish thinking.
Jan

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Jan,
Re-read what I wrote and see if you don't agree. One of my many jobs at work is to serve as the fleet manager. We routinely get in excess of 150K miles on our engines regardless of manufacturer or driver, and currently have several never-opened engines with more than 200K miles on them that do not use oil. Modern rings are great! (with an assist from overdrive transmissions)

The point I think you were trying to make is that the replacement rings you buy for your Sunbeam might not be of a modern design - and I agree with you 100%.

agmason54

Donation Time
bad seals in clylinder

I have my own faith and I follow it all the way-I religiously change my oil every 2000 miles and my fool engine has about one hundred thousand miles on it I guess. It's been assembled for 16 years but can't recall what kind of rings were installed.
I suspect the reason why Alpine engines croak so soon is people with lead feet, lack of oil changes and 150CD Stromberg carbs. I bet the Devil runs them..(I constantly have a running set for sale.)
Believe in Prolong and hardened exhaust valve seats!!!You can still get Prolong at PEP Boys.Driving like an old lady also helps.My engine runs great and leaks like a sieve-the way God intended British cars to be.
Agm

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The point I think you were trying to make is that the replacement rings you buy for your Sunbeam might not be of a modern design - and I agree with you 100%.
Yes, that is my point. The new parts we get now are not even up to the standards of the factory back when are cars were built. But, I'm happy that the vendors are able to get the parts that we need to keep our cars on the road.
Jan

alpine_64

Donation Time
Driving like an old lady also helps.My engine runs great and leaks like a sieve-the way God intended British cars to be.
Agm

Driving like an old lady will help.. and also not making the engine lug to hard down low.. but driving them "sportingly" is more fun :p

65beam

Donation Time
cylinders

michael,
we older guys that had these cars when they were young cars drove then not sportingly but very hard! now that we have know better we treat them like grandchildren. we pamper and spoil them.