• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Backup lights

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I think these would work good as backup lights with the right bulbs:

How would you mount the Datsun side-marker-lights on a Series Alpine?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The Datsun side-marker-lights are designed to be surface mounted in a relatively flat / vertical body panel; are you talking about cutting holes in the rear valence?

BEpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
I bought this from Moss Motors Will mount under rear bumper
162-842_1.jpg

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have no problem with the flush mount approach, but I have doubts about the Datsun side-marker-lamps being effective as backup lamps. The original Datsun marker lamps scattered light in all directions and would hardly light up the side of a car in an adjacent parking space. They were visible at night, but certainly did not light up anything around them.

I would do some testing before cutting mounting holes in the rear valence for the Datsun side-marker-lamps.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Barry, You maybe right. The VW ones Chad mentioned in this thread may be a better option. Or a super bright LED.

watisit

Diamond Level Sponsor

birdfan56

Platinum Level Sponsor
The 1967 vw beetle had separate backup lights that will work fine with our rear bumper and look very similar to the original sunbeam ones. you may need to slightly modify the bracket to work.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
I have Wipac reversing lights on Ol Blue. They have been mounted for over 25 years and still have the same bulbs.
Originally wired to the Sunbeam tranny, they are now wired to the Toyota W58 five spped.

Attachments

• BA825694-989F-4A48-A8C8-6FC80C86CB98.jpeg
    BA825694-989F-4A48-A8C8-6FC80C86CB98.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 19

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I also used a VW one but from a Beetle, comes with a bracket and just turned it upside down. fitted great!

Is it a one wire setup where the ground is via the mounting bracket?

Thanks,
Mike