• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Back-Up Lights

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
There are a few older threads on the subject but what are people currently using for back up lights? I know in the past there were some Wipac repros available but I can't seem to find a source although there are other similar looking styles available. I've been trying to find some pictures of how they are mounted to the bumper brackets but can't find any. Anybody have any photos to share?

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Iirc the wiring goes to the side of the tranny, you remove the top of the tunnel in the car and you can access it. You should see wiring prongs there. Not sure if that’s correct for all series, tho.

I know there have been attempts by this club and others over the years to repro them but it’s been hard because of limited demand.

I personally don’t use them but I’ve seen a few Alpines where they’re mounted into the square jack holes. If you don’t want to put more holes in your Alpine and do t use the stock jack, this might be an option.

Sorry I don’t know more, good luck with this!

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks....I don't need any help with wiring...more on sourcing a suitable lamp fixture and how to mount it. They don't need to be stock...My SI V6 conversion is about as far from stock as you can get...just looking for something that's relatively easy to install and more or less period correct.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Bill,

Few people know that Rootes offered a pair of optional accessory reversing lamps specific to Series I & II.
Thanks....I don't need any help with wiring...more on sourcing a suitable lamp fixture and how to mount it. They don't need to be stock...My SI V6 conversion is about as far from stock as you can get...just looking for something that's relatively easy to install and more or less period correct.

PM sent.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
I have original, period Wipac lights that I picked up on eBay UK.
DanR is a good resource on mounting.
I’ll try and post a pic of mine later.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am using small lamps that used halogen bulbs, but were converted to LED. They mount high up under the bumper and are mounted using stock bumper mounting bolts and simple brackets
Bill

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
41KyFxtwdLL._AC_SY580_.jpg

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Bill,

Few people know that Rootes offered a pair of optional accessory reversing lamps specific to Series I & II.

PM sent.

Looks like I now have only one pair remaining, but they're pretty weather-beaten and if anyone is interested, please send a PM with your direct email address. It's worth noting that my last pair comes with 2 used, but 'un-melted' lenses. Below is a pic from the Rootes Special Accessories leaflet:

DSCN1747.JPG

Last edited:

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Those are the Sparto lamps. The plastic lenses will melt if one leaves it in reverse for a longtime. Replacement lens do not exist.
Sparto lamp.jpg
While they are time period correct. Finding usable ones are near impossible. And most are like Marks. In need of re-chroming. Really cool looking if you can find and or restore a set.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
maxresdefault.jpg 64 1/2 Mustang front park/turn lights would look good as backup light. Use turn signal wire for brighter filament.
Actually 64-66 Mustang had backup lights too.
DSCN7662-1028.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi Bill,

PM sent.
Mark the sparto "twin jet" lamps were offered all the way to SIV and MKI Tiger. They had 2 styles of base. The early style mount them to the outer corners of the lower valence and have a very complex compound curve cutout to fit.

The later bases were mounted inboard of the over riders and used a more simple cutout on the rear.

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for all the input and suggestions…I found a nice restorable set of Spartos…will definitely be putting LEDs in them to save the lenses.