• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Back in my day...

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I originally wrote this as a comment to the AMCO shift knob discussion (https://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/leather-covered-shifter-knob.31576/#post-231378), but decided not to hijack that thread and to start another one.

I am always amazed by what used to be readily available, both from places like Sears and from local auto parts stores. I remember buying a fitted car cover for my SV from Sears around 1979. Also seeing a muffler for my car sitting in the window of a neighborhood foreign auto parts store* a few years later and buying it just because I knew I'd need it eventually. I also remember going into another local neighborhood store around 1980 to buy a tune-up kit. The clerk told me they had just found an AMCO top in the basement and offered it to me for $25, which I bought even though I had a relatively new top on my car. I tried installing it years later and it turned out to be too small; the flaps on the side sat too high to snap down. I assume it had shrunk, but it might also just have been defective. Still, it is hard today to imagine a time when Alpines were just used cars.

*Speaking of memories, when was the last time you saw a "foreign auto parts store"?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
When I thought Martha Wheat from ProPrep was going out of business, I purchased a set of seat covers, as well as the foams and the diaphragms to rebuild my seats, even though mine didn’t really need it yet. I kept them for about 20 years. Finally installed them about 10 years ago… and realized I’d forgotten to order the armrest! In tracked her down and surprisingly she remembered my order. She shipped me a matching one for free! Result!

Last edited:

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
When I thought Martha Wheat from ProPrep was going out of business, I purchased a set of seat covers, as well as the foams and the diaphragms to rebuild my seats, even though mine didn’t really need it yet. I kept them for about 20 years. Finally installed them about 10 years ago… and realized I’d forgotten to order the armrest! In tracked her down and surprisingly she remembered my order. She shipped me a matching one for free! Result!

Martha did my seat covers and console cover and I bought the vinyl from her to reupholster the other parts of my interior that needed it
I also bought my convertible top boot from her. She’s excellent at what she does and nice to deal with as a bonus.