• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Axle ratio?

Alpine66

Donation Time
Is it safe to assume the ratio on my 66v is 4.10 ish?

I don't know if it had overdrive as it was a basket case when I bought it. No engine trans od.

Thanks

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Nearly all SV alpines were 4.22.

Earlier models had 4.22 for OD equipped models and 3.89 for std and auto equipped models.
SIII was unique in that 3.89s were used with both STD and OD equipped models.

Alpine66

Donation Time
Thanks, I assumed it was the over 4 one, is there a tag on the axle?
Only other way is to rotate and count and approximate.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Easy to check. Jack up one rear wheel. Put a chalk mark on the tire. Put a chalk mark on the drive shaft, at 3 O'Clock. rotate the wheel exactly one half turn. As you turn the wheel observe the direction of the drive shaft rotation. It will rotate about 4 times. If the chalk mark shows it rotated slightly less than 4 times then it's a 3:89. If slightly over 4 times it's a 4:22..
Tom