• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Armed Guards or Watch Dogs?

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
I did the trip from Kennesaw to both Columbia and Greenville many times over the last 10 years. I always made it in one go. And I always made it highways the whole way. Except the one year where traffic forced me onto some B roads. I usually drive up mid day Friday or very early Saturday, and it hasn’t been an issue. Knock on wood. When caravanning, we usually let the slowest car go first, so it goes something like:
  1. 4-speed
  2. overdrive
  3. V6
  4. Tiger
  5. Steve Pace
Now, as for hotels stays, that hasn’t really been an issue either. But I have both cars insured for as much as it would cost to replace them, and I will rent a car to drive home if I have to. I’ve done it covered and uncovered, locked and unlocked, and the smart years, locked with hard top (which an even mildly motivated miscreant could circumvent). I’ve seen no evidence of any wrong-doing.

The biggest issue I’ve have on the Columbia trip is the pollen. I’ve driven home almost entirely blind more often than I care to admit. I now keep Benadryl in the car for that very reason.

I’ve had more issues at the local sushi restaurant: “I’m just gonna take a photo with my daughter in the driver’s seat of your car, and then you can go.”

Oh, I can? Thanks!
Are you going over this year?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am at the wiring stage of the new car. Wiring it with a dash switch that will kill everything except the clock and courtesy lights. Hot wiring the ignition has zero impact.

Bill

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
I am at the wiring stage of the new car. Wiring it with a dash switch that will kill everything except the clock and courtesy lights. Hot wiring the ignition has zero impact.

Bill
I changed over to an electric fuel pump this past summer and wired an inline kill switch, as well as an inline fuel flow cutoff that I can access from just forward of the cross pipe, under the back of the car, without raising the car. I hadn’t thought about it at the time but I guess I was installing an anti-theft device. Lol

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
Would it make sense to also leave an Apple Air tag or similar in an unobtrusive place? Would do nothing to keep it from being stolen, but might give you a fighting chance to recover it.