• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Anyone visiting the U.K. For The National in July 2023?

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I don't know if any of you are planning on visiting the U.K. for The Alpine National in July 2023 but we have just had confirmation that Justin Harrington will be giving a talk on the afternoon of Saturday 29th July about Harringtons and the company's history with Rootes. There is also a new book being written that will feature new and previously unpublished photographs and other details about Harrington. If the book is published by then we are hoping that we might be able to have a book signing too.
On Friday 28th July Billy Hollis will be telling the true story of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (the 4 racing cars not the flying one). He has been involved with Chitty No 2 for over 70 years.
Tim R

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Tim, think you are addressing to US members mainly, but yes we are considering to attend. Some other members from our German club already reserved...

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi Bernd,

I think Andy Goldsmith is co-ordinating with people from the various European clubs that are coming. I know from various comments and e-mails we have had on The Sunbeam Alpine Channel that some American owners visit the UK fairly regularly. Next year's U.K. National is going to be so special that it is worth adjusting holiday time for, so I want any American owners who are coming over to consider aligning their times to coincide with the National and come visit us. That is why I am trying to give people plenty of notice re-dates.

Tim R

cdk84

Donation Time
Hi Tim,

Is anyone going to make a video of Justin's talk?

These events keep slipping through the cracks, their exacting knowledge being lost indefinitely, save for a moment's fore planning. If I were to be there, which I may not be able to be, I would make the video using my phone if no better equipment were available.

While I know Clive, I don't know Justin. Could we, SAOC, and the Sunbeam Archive, request a copy of the text of Justin's offering? It might have the kinds of stories that would not make it into the book, and those --the personal bits-- are often what give color and dimension to history.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Regards,
David

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
David,

The intention is to video Justin's talk (and that of Billy Hollis on the 'real' Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the rivalry with Sunbeam) and put them on The Sunbeam Alpine Channel so that they are available for everyone to see.

Tim R