• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Anyone see Hemmings classic car

Acollin

Donation Time
Great looking spread on the 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Ellena?
No sure if you would agree, but at first glance when I yanked the magazine from my post box, I thought it was a feature on Sunbeam. It was obvious when I looked more closely, but I see a lot of stylistic similarities.
Thoughts— was Lord Rootes inspired?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hard to see how it could be. The Series One started rolling off the line in June of 59. That's not much time for a design to be committed to production hardware. Especially the body dies, which are large and very expensive. I'm thinking that in order to be inspired by another vehicle, he would have had to see pre=production artware. A glimpse of a clay model would have been enough.
Bill

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
images

IIRC, wasn't the gent who designed the Alpine involved with the design of the 1955 model of this car? Maybe Enzo found inspiration there as well.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Kenneth Howes designed the alpine and was involved in the original T-bird.

The early alpine styling models and prototypes show it was an evolving design with scalloped details in the rear wings originally and was under study in early 58.

If anything the Ferrari is more akin the michelotti designed triumph TR4... especially the rear tail light area... Or the limited production Triumph Italia he designed and Vignale built.

Attachments

• download (8).jpeg
    download (8).jpeg
    8.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 41338852660_845d389b65_b.jpg
    41338852660_845d389b65_b.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 12
  • 1959_triumph_italia-2000_01.jpg
    1959_triumph_italia-2000_01.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 12