• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Anybody rebuilt a Lockheed Servo?

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
I jumped in the Alpine last night to go pick up Pizza for dinner (round trip of approx. 8 miles - low speed - lots of stop signs). A couple miles from home, I felt like the car didn't want go. Pulled over to investigate and could smell brakes. Brake pedal was rock hard. Turned engine off and back on - car couldn't even move under it's own power! Of course I had left my cell phone at home. To make a long story short, tried it again after sitting for approx. 10 minutes and everything was fine. I am thinking it has to be the servo - anything mechanical would not have corrected itself. It's temping to assume it was a fluke, but I think Murphy's Law applies here.

I bought the servo from Rick - I pulled the paperwork out this morning and found it was 10 years ago (I would have guessed 5 - time flies).

Most of the discussions here seem to revolve around the Girling Servo, and the difficulty in rebuilding it. Has anybody rebuilt a Lockheed?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Todd Reid

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Were all of the brakes locked? It could be a brake line that has ballooned inside and slowly was able to release the pressure.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Mike,
I had no way of checking, but I feel pretty sure they were. The car literally would not budge - If I had just dumped the clutch, I am sure the engine would have stalled. I don't think a single brake would have that kind of holding power.

TR

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I think you can "turn off" the servo by pinching off the vacuum supply hose. It's been awhile, but I think that was step one in my failure analysis back a few years ago.

tom o

Donation Time
I just went through the exact same thing on my grilling booster. The problem was that the vacuum piston was not returning all the way due to dried grease.
I don't know what type of grease to use, so I used vaseline. It works perfect
now. If the piston does not return all the way, it does not allow the fluid to return
to the master cylinder. This lets the heat from the brakes pressurize the brake
system. The only way to release the brakes is to crack a brake line.

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
Old Tiger peeps would keep a bypass line in the trunk , when this happens, they do a quick road side repair and go on their way

Bruce