• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Anybody Going to the TE/AE United?

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Trying to decide if I want to go. The organizers mentioned driving over the GW Bridge in last months Rootes Review. That would not be the route I would suggest.

TR

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
TR-what route do you suggest? Sy has provided several different routes and will have more suggestions in the next newsletter.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I just wrote an article that should be published in the next Rootes Review on ways to avoid the GWB, some of which will take your through some very nice areas and will certainly make the drive more pleasant. I am happy to share it in advance with anyone who wants a copy.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Jim
Share it here on the forum-lots of folks visiting here will be at the United. All Rootes cars are welcome in any condition. Patina is great!

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is the current version of my article. It may be a little different by the time it gets published in the Rootes Review, but I hope it helps some of you get there more comfortably.

Directions are not my strong suit, but I had my wife (aka "the human GPS") review this and she says it looks right to her. I am happy to answer any questions here, and if those questions come in the next 24 hours they might even help me improve the article prior to publication!

Attachments

• Driving to the United.pdf
    68.2 KB · Views: 15

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Jim....great article and sure to be helpful to those folks planning to attend the United...P

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
I live in PA, so I would certainly defer to someone like Jim who live there, but my first impulse, without studying a map, would be to take the southern route in thru Staten Island. Jim - your thoughts?

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I live in Dutchess County, about three hours away from Glen Cove. I'm probably only be able to make one day
of the invasion ( trying for two) so which day would be the best day to drive down? I'm trying to put a small
contingent of Alpine ( and possibly other Rootes vehicles) together for the United. If anyone is local
or on the way and would like to drive together, PM me.

Cheers!
Steve

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I live in PA, so I would certainly defer to someone like Jim who live there, but my first impulse, without studying a map, would be to take the southern route in thru Staten Island. Jim - your thoughts?
In all honesty, and my article aside, I would listen to Google (unless it tries to direct you to one of the tunnels) and take whichever route it says is best at the time you are making the drive. The southern route through Staten Island is a good one; that is the route we generally take when visiting my daughter southwest of Philly. We just did it yesterday and, true to form, Google wanted us to take the Lincoln Tunnel, which we passed on. It may have been a little faster (Google said it would save us 10 minutes), but there is just too much that can go wrong when driving through Manhattan.

Remember that my article was written for people who want to avoid driving their cars in New York City. The routes I detailed are not intended to be the best or fastest ones; just good ways to avoid the City. Like all big cities, one accident can change everything, so it certainly won't hurt to keep an eye on road conditions at the time of the drive.

One more thing to keep in mind: my article is going to be printed along with one by Sy Block, event chairperson, on direct routes to Glen Cove. So, this is definitely not the last or only word on the topic!

mikephillips

Donation Time
Wish I could, but work gets in the way, I have oncall support and a due date that weekend. I'm looking forward to all the descriptions.

greenbean

Donation Time
Happy Fourth of July. Thank God for our wonderful Country and all of the liberties and rights that we all have and can enjoy:):):)

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
The wife and I will be there. This will be our 35th United and have been to all six SUNI's.
Nah, We decided I'd spent enough time at Bridgehampton, when it was there, that we didn't need to go back, you'll get to see the car some other time Bob.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Nah, We decided I'd spent enough time at Bridgehampton, when it was there, that we didn't need to go back, you'll get to see the car some other time Bob.
I assume you mean 'at the Bridgehampton race track, when it was still there." If not, I can assure you that the town of Bridgehampton is still very much there. Sadly, the race track - which I am pretty sure was technically in the town of Sag Harbor - is now a country club with a $1M joining fee!