• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine vintage race car for sale or trade

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Hey, guys:

Well, it's been fun while it lasted but it's time for me to part with my vintage racing Alpine Series I. I had to sell my truck and trailer to finance a construction project at my house and it’s going to be a good long while before I can afford to buy another one. In the meantime, the poor Alpine is just sitting there…

You’ve probably all seen pictures of the car at one time or another. It’s a 1960 Series I that I bought in 2004 from Carl McLelland out of Sparks, NV. He raced it with CSRG before selling it to me. I went completely through the car, mechanically and cosmetically, and built it to CVAR Group 4 specs, which means that the car uses Sunbeam engine parts rather than Chevy rods and Webers, etc. However, the 1600 engine was built to last with parts that were legal, such as polished and balanced Sunbeam forged steel crank (complete with oiling modification), polished and balance Sunbeam rods with ARP fasteners, flat-top pistons, copper head gasket, head was gone through with new valves, guides and seats, intake and head were ported and matched, etc. The transmission is a Series III unit that has been completely gone through. We even beefed up the the spring on the reverse detent to prevent the engagement of reverse when downshifting from third to second. It has a 4.22:1 rear end, a Fuel Safe eight gallon fuel cell and steel braided fuel lines. There's much more to list than I have time to type right now. I kept all receipts for everything I had done during it's build, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. It's good from the aspect that anyone can see what was done, bad from the aspect of it makes me sick when I figure that I've got over $22K in the car...

Anyway, putting the car together was a labor of love and I'm very pleased with the way it's turned out. The last time it was raced was the fall of '08 due to the sale of my tow rig and the construction project, but a fresh oil change and a routine check of the valve lash is all it needs to be race-ready. I also have a new safety harness to go on it as well since the old one is now out of date. There are also a ton of spare parts that go with the car. Frankly, I'd have to do an inventory of what I have, but I know I've got several shelves of engine and transmission parts in my storage building. I’ve also got a spare body available, too (Series II), just in case you want it for parts.

I've got the car priced at $11,500 and that includes the parts. The parts car is negotiable but would be very cheap. Those of you who have experience at this sort of thing will immediately recognize the fact that you could not reproduce a car like this for anywhere near the kind of money that I’m asking for it. Nevertheless, I'll entertain "reasonable" offers. I would also be interested in taking a nice Series V street car on trade, too, but the condition of any Series V trade would need to be commensurate to my Series I; in other words, it would need to be a nice car. Please click on the link below or paste it into the address line of your browser to see pics of the car; I have more to send out to any interested party. Just PM me for more info and pics.

http://1970mgr.org/AlpineGallery/index.htm

Oh...and by the way…the car is "Miss July 2010" in "Cars of the Rootes Group" calendar!

Hope everyone is having a great summer,

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
This is just so SAD!

Wow, Andy all that hard work and you’re parting with it, so very sad. We just got back from Reno, NV and I was just in my mind comparing Bill's vintage race Alpine to yours. I would hate to pick one over the other; they are the most detailed complete race alpines I have ever seen! What would be awesome would be to have the two actual race each other. That is what we need an official race day for all the Sunbeam Alpine vintage racers to compete against each other; only problem they are so many miles apart. I just hope it sales to a Sunbeam vintage racer that will keep it up and race.

Donna
:D

65beam

Donation Time
vintage race car

we had quite an array of vintage sunbeam race cars at mid ohio a few years ago. someone correct me if i'm wrong, but there must have been close to a dozen cars racing. there was also quite a turn out of sunbeam street cars. there was a sunbeam only parade on the track. we had cars from all over the country. steve, what year was that?

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
It was 2005 that we had the Sports Car Forum Reunion at Mid-Ohio. That really was a great time. I wish we could do it again!

Walter Pietrowicz, http://www.september8th.com, shot the small thumbnail of all the Tiger and Alpine races cars.

That was my one and only SVRA event and they really went out of their way to welcome us all at the track. Very well done and much appreciated.

Attachments

• MO-SVRA-SPRINT-2005-DISK4-296.jpg
    MO-SVRA-SPRINT-2005-DISK4-296.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 111

redminitinny

Donation Time
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and learning my way around but I just wanted to say that this is the nicest Series I car I've seen in a long while. Is this car still for sale?
Kind regards,

Steve

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Andy's car sold last year. If you are interested in a later Series race car send me a PM.

Steve

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
That's odd... it shouldn't be. (and it isn't according to the graphic on the PM list)

But if you need to reach me you can write milano164 at comcast.net

Steve