• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine Restoration video?

mikephillips

Donation Time
Wouldn't be impossible. And of course, as fast as all of us are with our projects if it's started now it might be done by 2010.....

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I've talked briefly with some folks in the group about various levels
of video production. (Disclaimer: I'm in that business.) The nice thing is it's easier/cheaper than ever before to produce a decent-looking and sounding video. The long-term nature of restoration dictates that either you buy and operate the gear yourself, or you perform your restoration in two weeks of intensive mechanical work, with all parts pre-sourced, and with all potential landmine problems pre-solved. The other way is to "incorporate" as a vehicle restoration video production company. That way, all video equipment and services, as well as the acquisition/restoration costs of the vehicle and the shop are all deductible business expenses. If you keep the car, personally, when you're done, then its restored value would be taxable to you as compensation, and you'd have to pursue another restoration/video project to retain your corporate status. (IANAL, and consult your tax professional, etc.) It would be good, in the eyes of the IRS, for there to be a viable, potentially-profitable business plan associated with this venture, either in direct to DVD sales or placement on one of the various broadcast outlets. Sponsorship, of course, would help out, but then you'll need sales guys, etc. Gets to be quite a project, but it can and does work. There's a guy in England who has done this kind of stuff... restore a Jag, build a kit plane, etc.

The other, less expensive, and more immediate need, (in my humble opinion) is to interview some of the "old timers" in the Sunbeam and related world, while they're still around. Sit-down, one-on-one interviews, in their shop, with a knowledgeable but receptive host. Every time one of the old guard passes on, it's an opportunity missed. This is not nearly as expensive/time consuming as the resto video, and it's not even necessary to take the next step of editing and production right away. But it is necessary to go record them right away. Time's a'wastin, and all.

I've thought about this recently. A lot.

Ken

Lester

Donation Time
I just now read this dialoge, so maybe this has been brought up already, but I'll just throw this out there...food for thought. Why couldn't we just make a video as a non-profit club, using club funds with club approval, and then accept donations, per dvd, to recoup and possibly generate club capitol. ?
I started a corporation last year, and it isn't difficult, but I don't see the point.
-Lester

Pumpkin

Donation Time
rebuild video

Some one ,,correct me if I am off here, About 8-9 years ago this group or where ever.. Donated a rusty (well semi-rusty) ser ll and re built it. Then after it was all done raffeled the darn thing off. :confused:

That would be a great op for several that are close in proximity and able to do it. With some donations , parts & $ of course and they could make a video of that one??:rolleyes:

Not only would it involve several that need something to do,, HA besides sitting here goofing off. Well not me of course, I have a transmission and stuff to install.. That would be about a years of laying round on my back watching my beer age.:p
Cheers
Chuck and That Pesty Pumpkin

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Well, this board just dumped a half-hour's worth of writing on this topic, which I don't have time to re-do tonight. But yeah, something is up with the forum software. It did a "self-refresh" and poof, all gone. :confused:

Ken

Pumpkin

Donation Time
video

I was wondering, is this subject in the wrong spot, you know like in chit chat or somewhere?
Chuck:confused:

Jim E

Donation Time
I could see videos on rebuilding sub assemblies and they be submitted by club memebers for consideration in a DVD of this sort of thing. Sort of here is how to do a caliper rebuild or a M/C rebuild or other small job. But a video of one car being totally restored I do not see happening.

J

Johnny Ringo

I could see videos on rebuilding sub assemblies and they be submitted by club memebers for consideration in a DVD of this sort of thing. Sort of here is how to do a caliper rebuild or a M/C rebuild or other small job. But a video of one car being totally restored I do not see happening.

This is a cool idea. We could post them online for members to view for free and give out awards depending on how many members view what. Get Er Done Invasion becomes YOU Get Er Done Video Series.