• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine oil cooler and v6?

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Has anyone fitted an Alpine oil cooler to their 2.8l v6, and determined if it is helpful enough to be worth the trouble?

I talked to a guy today who is installing one on an Alpine v8 conversion - on the theory that every small bit of additional cooling power helps.

Possibly an oil cooler could increase cooling where an overtasked radiator isn't getting the job done.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Alan as you state effort v return. On the mkii tiger the factory fitted a twin tube hedgehog style cooler. Essentially 2 alpine sv together ... So a single row is not likely to offer much help. He would be better off buying an off the shelf modern one and fitting.

As for a v6.. Id say the same.. Get a moderm aftermarket one from summit pepboys etc...

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Michael, thanks, I'd forgotten about the MKII oil cooler - it's a useful comparison.

An off-the-shelf option would be better.

65beam

Donation Time
Michael, thanks, I'd forgotten about the MKII oil cooler - it's a useful comparison.

An off-the-shelf option would be better.
Allan,
I have an after market oil cooler on my van. I bought it from Pegasus and the block for the lines screws onto the oil filter mount and then the filter screws onto the mount. The kit came with fittings and cut to length hoses. The cooler comes in many different sizes and shapes. Kits are available at all of the big box auto parts stores. Keep in mind that todays SN spec oil will maintain it's viscosity and not break down under high temps and normal use so there's no reason for over kill as far as size because you don't want the oil temp too low.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Allan,
I have an after market oil cooler on my van. I bought it from Pegasus and the block for the lines screws onto the oil filter mount and then the filter screws onto the mount. The kit came with fittings and cut to length hoses. The cooler comes in many different sizes and shapes. Kits are available at all of the big box auto parts stores. Keep in mind that todays SN spec oil will maintain it's viscosity and not break down under high temps and normal use so there's no reason for over kill as far as size because you don't want the oil temp too low.

I'll pass that along, thanks.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I bought it from Pegasus and the block for the lines screws onto the oil filter mount and then the filter screws onto the mount. The kit came with fittings and cut to length hoses. The cooler comes in many different sizes and shapes.

Bob do you have any part numbers for what you installed? That would be real nice for us to look at,

65beam

Donation Time
Dan,
I don't have part numbers. This is an install I did a number of years ago so current part numbers would probably be different. My install is on an E150 ford van with a 302 engine that uses a 1A filter. I bought the largest oil cooler I could fit between the radiator and grill and still have room for the auxillary trans cooler I installed . The van has a complete factory tow package but I added these items. The trans oil goes thru the radiator and then on to the aux cooler before going back to the trans. I sell to a lot of auto parts stores and also truck parts stores so I have the advantage of finding what I want. As a side note keep in mind that the current conventional SN spec oils have a high tolerance to thermal breakdown.