• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine Judging Guide

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here ya go, Jim:

The only other clue is the screws - they denote separate types of hinge screws for SI, SII, etc. Search the document for the word "armrest" and you'll see what I mean.

VaCat33

Silver Level Sponsor
Jim

Great research and photos...your google certainly works better than mine. I checked the Parts Manual more closely. See Page YV18

Centre Armrest and Glove box
2201086 Hinge SI
2207656 Hinge SII
2201203 Lock SI
2207882 Lock SII (pictured on Plate B (292))

I see no entries to differentiate between LHD and RHD.

Very interesting about that flip up piece to act as stop/rest for the back opening hinged lid. Did that continue through the end of Alpine production? If not, does anybody know when it stopped? My guess it stopped once S3 was introduced.

Thanks

Jim

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim

Great research and photos...your google certainly works better than mine. I checked the Parts Manual more closely. See Page YV18

Centre Armrest and Glove box
2201086 Hinge SI
2207656 Hinge SII
2201203 Lock SI
2207882 Lock SII (pictured on Plate B (292))

I see no entries to differentiate between LHD and RHD.

Very interesting about that flip up piece to act as stop/rest for the back opening hinged lid. Did that continue through the end of Alpine production? If not, does anybody know when it stopped? My guess it stopped once S3 was introduced.

Thanks

Jim

Jim,
The flip up piece was unique to the Harrington Le Mans (note Bernd's comment for possible explanation: "Wasn't that little flip up piece on the HLM for holding the backrest level once it's folded down ?").

Also, every model after the Series I was the same basic console.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I was trying to think of a member with a correct SIV and remembered that we used to have a member from the UK with an incredibly low mileage, unmolested SIV Automatic. As I recall, he posted quite a few photos here and ultimately sold the car to someone who also joined the club. I spent a little time searching here, but need better search terms. Can anyone supplement my aging memory?
The car belonged to john boggis.

He sent me a dvd with full photographic records of the car.. Sadly a little far from my reach now... However moonstonesIV has a copy... And an equally original round corner SIVGT.... Has ge sent in the photos yet....

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Jim,
The flip up piece was unique to the Harrington Le Mans (note Bernd's comment for possible explanation: "Wasn't that little flip up piece on the HLM for holding the backrest level once it's folded down ?").

Also, every model after the Series I was the same basic console.

Jerry, one of those nice little features that only a Harrington is offering. I also had to learn it from of the HLM afficionados earlier. Always wondered what this little hinged piece was intended for.

Regarding the S1 console need to check mine. Wonder whether it has 2 lock holes or not. Anyway it's a LHD car and has the lock on the right side...

DaveSeries1

Silver Level Sponsor
Guys, I found a picture of the interior of my original S1 taken in 1970. you can clearly see that the key lock is on the passenger side. Sorry for the lousy picture, just had a Kodak instamatic in those days.

Attachments

• interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 39

VaCat33

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for the info on that little flip up piece. The guide only covers the Series Alpines so one less item to worry about. I did get some photos of the John Boggis SIV and have included several in the guide. Thank you for the continued help on this project.

Jim L

ALC 68A

Donation Time
Steve

I could definitely use a few shots of the batwing air filter set up. I can crop the photos to eliminate most of the evidence of RHD car. You can send them to President@teae.org

Thanks

Jim
I just need to refit the rubber air tube - at present it has non-original "elephant's trunk" tubing, as I only recently obtained an original rubber one. It came with the correct wire type screw clips, but they are rusty and need buffing up before I can fit the tube. I'll send you the pictures when it's done.

Steve

ALC 68A

Donation Time
I have been looking at the parts manual, figuring that different part numbers, if they existed, would answer the question. Interestingly, I cannot find the console anywhere. Maybe someone else will have better luck? http://sunbeamalpine.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Alpine-parts-manual-SI-SV-searchable-v2.pdf
It is listed, but not illustrated on the plates for some reason. It's under Body Fittings, Miscellaneous Trim, Page YV18 "Centre armrest and glovebox". Unhelpfully, there is no part number, as it's listed as "Not Supplied". There are part numbers listed for the screws, locks and hinges and these are different for Series I and II, but it doesn't answer the original question.

Steve

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have an original Series III GT purchased from the original owner. It came with a single Solex with a single Bat wing air intake. I replaced the Solex with a 36/36 Weber thus these photos don't show it in the Alpine.

upload_2021-2-3_14-43-26.png
upload_2021-2-3_14-46-5.png

ALC 68A

Donation Time
I have an original Series III GT purchased from the original owner. It came with a single Solex with a single Bat wing air intake. I replaced the Solex with a 36/36 Weber thus these photos don't show it in the Alpine.

View attachment 22174
View attachment 22175
What is your VIN number if you don't mind me asking? The carburettor section of the parts list doesn't give a specific starting VIN number for the changeover from Zeniths to Solexes, but from references elsewhere, it seems to be B9204718 ST and B9203887 GT. However, I'm not sure of this because the two number sequences are so far apart. Mine is B9203243 GT, so I assumed it should be a Zenith car, although it had a Weber fitted on a Solex manifold when I bought it and I had to find all the missing Zenith carbs and parts. Thanks.

Steve

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
What is your VIN number if you don't mind me asking? The carburettor section of the parts list doesn't give a specific starting VIN number for the changeover from Zeniths to Solexes, but from references elsewhere, it seems to be B9204718 ST and B9203887 GT. However, I'm not sure of this because the two number sequences are so far apart. Mine is B9203243 GT, so I assumed it should be a Zenith car, although it had a Weber fitted on a Solex manifold when I bought it and I had to find all the missing Zenith carbs and parts. Thanks.

Steve
Sent PM

VaCat33

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for the air filter photos. I already have good photos of that design. The batwing style cleaner I am referring to is for the twin Zenith carbs. See drawing from Parts Manual. We also need a photo(s) of the rectangular airbox design for the solex carb.

Thanks

Jim L
Airbox .jpg airbox .jpg

ALC 68A

Donation Time
Thanks for the air filter photos. I already have good photos of that design. The batwing style cleaner I am referring to is for the twin Zenith carbs. See drawing from Parts Manual. We also need a photo(s) of the rectangular airbox design for the solex carb.

Thanks

Jim L
View attachment 22177 View attachment 22178
I have the Zenith batwing filter arrangement and will send the photos when I have fitted the rubber air tube. I've never seen an Alpine with the rectangular microelement air filter in the UK and no one in the US has provided one, although the parts list says they were fitted on both Series 3 and IV. After the Solex was introduced, the standard ST used the oval based mesh filter and the GT the one in jcdoclogan's photos. Therefore, I'm guessing the rectangular filter was perhaps for special export markets with dusty conditions - were there any of those in the US? I'm thinking Australian or African conditions are more likely. I'm wondering if it may be a part borrowed from the Rapier range, as I think Rootes fitted Solexes on the Series IV model?

ALC 68A

Donation Time

Thanks

Jim L
View attachment 22177 View attachment 22178
I've just seen that there are some very clear photos of a Series 3 engine bay with Zenith batwing filter assembly, in the Series 3 picture gallery on this website! And it's LHD. They were posted by Alpine_64. Can you use those?

VaCat33

Silver Level Sponsor
Hello

Just a final plug for assistance on the Alpine Judging Guide. I have attached the latest version of the photos we need. I would estimate the guide is 80% complete. We just need these photos to get us home. I know some of you have sent photos of parts not installed. We may eventually use them but for now I am trying to get photos of parts/features on the car. I thank you for your continued support.

Jim L
C3494385-E25E-4C5B-AB54-DCFC8787CC67.jpeg

VaCat33

Silver Level Sponsor
Hello All

it has been almost three months since my last post asking for photos. Now that spring is here for most, I am hoping your cars are more accessible and you can get some of these these photos we need. Photos of original undersides are needed in particular. The list of photos needed is attached to my previous post dated Feb 7, 2021.

Thanks

Jim L.