• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine driveline vs Tiger driveline

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
I've tried searching for the answer but didn't have much luck. I've got a chance to buy an Alpine driveline locally for a really good price but I've got a 302 V8 with a Tiger toploader 4spd and a Dana 44 rear axle. I'm assuming a Tiger driveline would work but I can't find any cheaper than what it would cost to have one made. I was wondering if an Alpine driveline was the same length, and had a good enough strength to hold up the the extra ponies and then I'd just switch out the yokes and ect. What do you think?

-Kyle

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Why would you even think about an Alpine drive shaft and rear end.??
Go,with the top loader and the Dana rear end that you already have. Might Ned a Ford/ Mustang drive shaft cut to fit. Not that expensive to,have it modified.

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Never said anything about using an Alpine rear axle, just wanted to know if I could use an Alpine driveline with a different yoke. I'll just get the mustang one modified or have one made.

Thanks!
-Kyle

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Speedway Motors sells a reasonably priced driveline for 1310 U joints. You need to have the front yoke for your transmission. Slip it in and pull out 1", measure from U joint to U joint and that is the length you need to order.

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
I forgot about speedway. I've never used them before but I noticed they had pretty decent prices. I'll check into that.

-Kyle

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Tiger vs Alpine driveline

You didn't mention what vehicle you are changing the driveline into but I am assuming it's an Alpine. If it is an Alpine, should be a piece of cake to change out the Alpine driveline. If you are trying to put a Ford V8 into an Alpine, you should consider the amount of body modifications you'll need to make. It is not an easy task and will cost a lot of time and money to do it properly. In the end it would be a lot easier to find a worn out Tiger and swap your Ford stuff into it. All depends on what floats your boat. In the 40+ years I have been involved with 3 Tigers and 16 Alpines I have been down this road before. Like anything else, there's an easy way and a hard way to go. Good luck.....I hope you wind up with your desired Sunbeam.

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
I've got a series IV Alpine. The 302, toploader, and dana 44 are already in the car. Luckily I bought the car already fitted with a V8 so all I had to do was build a better 302, find the dana 44 and toploader. All I need now is the driveline and just figured if there was a way to save a couple bucks I'd check into it. I couldn't find/afford a Tiger project when I was on the market for a Sunbeam so this was a good alternative and was otherwise 98% complete. It will remain badged as an Alpine as I have no intentions in trying to make a Tiger clone just in case anyone is wondering. My goal is to be cruising later this summer after I rebuild the brakes and do some bushings and ect. Just haven't had a lot of time to play in the shop for the past year :(

-Kyle

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have

A top loader a driveshaft and the trans mount. On Craigslist what exactly do you need?

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Tiger driveline vs Apline driveline

Only needing a Tiger driveshaft of its cheap enough. I'm having a well put in and that's taking up pretty much all my play money for the time being.

Thanks!
-Kyle

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Kyle,

Why don´tyou just have a driveshaft made? It would probably be a lot cheaper than one from a Tiger, and you could have it sooner. What I do, is measure from the end of the tail housing, where the yoke slips in, to the pinion flange on the rear end. The driveline shop will make it so it has the correct amount of distance for it to slip in and out as it works.

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello! That's probably the route I'll end up taking. There's a driveline shop not far from my work that I've used in the past. I should just stop by some day an see what they charge.

Thanks!
-Kyle

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi Kyle,

Why dont´you just have a driveshaft made? It would probably be a lot cheaper than one from a Tiger, and you could have it sooner. What I do, is measure from the end of the tail housing, where the yoke slips in, to the pinion flange on the rear end. The driveline shop will make it so it has the correct amount of distance for it to slip in and out as it works.

MUCH easier "SAID THAN DONE" AROUND HERE ! ALREADY HAVE a 2.5" drive shaft with "correct trans Yoke", is "correct length". but the u- joint on the rear of the driveshaft is Too WIDE and cup size is way too Large to fit a "original" 1963 alpine driveshaft to rear end "YOKE" ! any ideas? driveshaft SHOP is of no help. thank you

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Fonz, That is because the yoke at the rear of your driveshaft is for a 8.8 or 9" Ford 1330 or 1350 Ujoint. I have given you the part #s you need to go to the small Alpine rear end in the other thread.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
Just came back from another drive shaft shop. cut off the end of the driveshaft, weld on a new yoke, put one new ujoint and yoke to fit the rear end. Another $200