• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Aftermarket Wheels for Sunbeam Fastback

alpinefastback

Donation Time
I've searched this site and the internet and can't find an answer to the following questions:

1. Does anybody know what the stock rim backspacing/offset is for the fastback cars?
I want to switch to 14x6 wheels so I'll have more choice in tires.
I know how to calculate backspacing/offset for different wheel widths, but obviously need a baseline for stock wheels to start from.

2. Are wheels for series Alpines interchangeable with the fastbacks?
I know they have the same bolt pattern (4x108mm or 4x 4.25"), but I've read somewhere that offsets are slightly different because of clearance issues.

65beam

Donation Time
wheels for fastbacks

i am using minilites intended for the series alpines with no problems. but keep in mind that the fastbacks have a different brake drum than the alpines . they have the weights or whatever you want to call them and this may require the spacers that sunbeam specialties sell. i don't think there are much differences in the alpine and fastback wheels since i used old alpine wheels to transport the body around with no problems .the fastback has a wider track on the rear axle than the alpines and with the minilites,my tires are close to the fenders . the track of the front and rear on the fastbacks are the same at 4ft,4in. i found that when i tried using an older set of panasports that came off of a vintage race tiger that steering was a problem . these cars have only toe in adjustments with no camber adjustment . you will find that on a tight turn that there is several degrees different angle on the inner wheel versus the outer wheel. my white car has 0 degrees of camber on the right side with 1/2 degree negative on the left . with the 13" x 5" minilites and 175/70 tires ,i have about an inch clearance between the tire and the fender on the rears .

alpinefastback

Donation Time
i am using minilites intended for the series alpines with no problems. but keep in mind that the fastbacks have a different brake drum than the alpines . they have the weights or whatever you want to call them and this may require the spacers that sunbeam specialties sell. i don't think there are much differences in the alpine and fastback wheels since i used old alpine wheels to transport the body around with no problems .the fastback has a wider track on the rear axle than the alpines and with the minilites,my tires are close to the fenders . the track of the front and rear on the fastbacks are the same at 4ft,4in. i found that when i tried using an older set of panasports that came off of a vintage race tiger that steering was a problem . these cars have only toe in adjustments with no camber adjustment . you will find that on a tight turn that there is several degrees different angle on the inner wheel versus the outer wheel. my white car has 0 degrees of camber on the right side with 1/2 degree negative on the left . with the 13" x 5" minilites and 175/70 tires ,i have about an inch clearance between the tire and the fender on the rears .

Bob, once again thanks for your detailed reply.
Do you know what the offset is on the minilites you put on your car?

65beam

Donation Time
wheels

not sure what the offset is . they're standard wheels intended for series 1 thru 5 alpines . they do set on the drums in the rear without using a spacer so i gained a little wheel clearance, but i still don't have much .

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I think the minilites suit basically any classic vehicle. There is something about the look. If a 15" rim could fit without scrubbing, I think that would look great on a fast back. We have a concourse fast back in our family, and they definitely need something other than the steel rims.

Regards, Robin.

65beam

Donation Time
wheels for fastbacks

if i remember correctly, tiger tom had LAT 70 wheels on the roto rooter. looked good !

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
Not sure if it will be of any help here or not but I have a couple pics for comparison showing wheels off a Series Alpine and how the exact same ones fit on a Fastback.

First my Alpine SV and the American Eagle wheels, 13X5.5 front and 13X7.5 rear and you can see the difference in the first pic easily. They fit the SV well, the wider ones helped the rear track balance out nicely, however that exact same set are too wide for the fastback (especially rear) and only served to move the car (Alpine GT) by trailer to a storage unit. The tires are 205/60-13's on the SV and I had to replace the tires for the GT, I think those are the same but could be 195/60's now, sorry the switch was a hurried deal and they had to be personally delivered from Phoenix to northern Montana so the size is eluding me at the moment......

sunbeamatbrooklandsln6.jpg

cnv0744mx0.jpg

Then an American Racing set (not sure the model name) as seen on my old race SV for towing and parking only, and the exact wheels on a fastback. These were quite narrow (13X4.5 most likely) and fit the fastback (Alpine Coupe) with no issues. BTW, those are 185/70 tires in case you noticed they look a little bigger than stock.

sunbeamracecarrrhg8.jpg

sunbeamalpinecoupe1969cr1.jpg

BTW, I do recall Tiger Toms Fastback and as I recall it did have the LAT70's on it. Neat car too.....