• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ackerman? We don't need no stinken Ackerman

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don't know what I'm using, they were on the car when purchased. All I know is it is big and clunky. No zerk, but has flats. So I just got through ordering new Saab ends. Parts Geek offers two styles, I ordered the one with raised "knobs" and no flats. Thanks for the tip. I might be able to eat my cake and have it! I'll return to the rear caliper project while waiting for delivery.
Bill

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
A critical factor is that Bill moved the front brake rotors appreciably outward relative to the factory Series Alpine location which in turn allowed the outer tie-rod end pivot points to be moved outward and forward which in turn reduced the off-center steering toe-in gain (aka, reverse Ackermann).
No, the rotors are in the stock position. As I recall, (this was all done way back in the early double O's, like maybe 2004), I located the rotor so the inside surface was in the stock location. The MGB arms and different caliper mounts moved the rod end out that much.
Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Received the Saab rod ends. While they are visibly smaller than the current rods, they are only 1/8" diameter smaller. Next week, I'll see how important that 1/16" is. Right now, I'm totally involved in making Saturn rear brake calipers. Can't use Dan's adapters, I'm using Nissan rotors. Larger diameter and more offset. Also have the 8" axle. If my bod could only keep up with my brain. Reminds me of a saying I heard a few years ago. "Be careful you don't let your Alligator mouth overload your Hummingbird ass." Perhaps i've already gone and done that.
Bill

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am adding a postal jeep rear end to my alger. There are a couple of available disk brake conversion available for that jeep rear end. Hopefully I can fit them inside my 14" wheels.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am adding a postal jeep rear end to my alger. There are a couple of available disk brake conversion available for that jeep rear end. Hopefully I can fit them inside my 14" wheels.
Don't go bananas on size, especially if you are staying with the stock front brakes. Think along the lines of Saturn calipers and rotors. Dan has already demonstrated they are a good match with the stockers up front. More likely to fit inside your wheels, too. I managed to cram that combo inside of 13" alloys. I believe Dan is having trouble fitting them inside of his14" alloys as well as the stock 13". The design of the wheel is important. Where do they belly down? At the outer portion of the wheel or at the back. At the back is bad news as that is where the caliper lives.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don't know if we need Ackerman, but we will have to settle for a dab. In a move to control bumpsteer, the steering arms were swapped left to right and turned upside down, which required shortened steering arms. We now have about 1/2" of negative Ackerman while duplicating the test previously described. Negative camber is now about 3/4 degree at riding height and probably 3-4 degrees at full droup. Much improved. I am looking forward to the first drive of this car. In many ways it is different from the original DuraPine. I'm hoping it is not just different, but better.

Bill