• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

AC air filter housing

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
The prototype was displayed yesterday at the show in Oxnard. If you missed the show it was epic Cali weather

If you would like a new reproduction housing for your Tiger or Alger. First delivery will be at the Monterey show in August. Pricing will be $495 for non members $450 for members. Membership discount applies to CAT ,STOC, STOA and Sunbeam clubs that require a membership fee. First production run will be 30 units and those sales will have further discount of no sales tax. Shipping will be actual cost with no handling fee. Item will be shipped with top and bottom bare oiled steel finish, no primer ready for paint or chrome.

The pic of the attached one is the reproduction the one with the bit of blue masking tape is a original. The owner of a Sebring Alpine used the word "Perfect," Others "Better than new,"
All fittings are as original it is Minty fresh no expense spared U.S. made.

If you'd like a high res knock your socks off pic please PM me with your email address

Attachments

• IMAG1459.jpg
    IMAG1459.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 52
  • IMAG1460.jpg
    IMAG1460.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
"Membership discount applies to CAT ,STOC, STOA and Sunbeam clubs that require a membership fee."

Interesting approach. What is it about being a dues-paying member of a Sunbeam club that makes a person worthy of a discount and not others?

Mark ..... volvoguys

alpine_64

Donation Time
"Membership discount applies to CAT ,STOC, STOA and Sunbeam clubs that require a membership fee."

Interesting approach. What is it about being a dues-paying member of a Sunbeam club that makes a person worthy of a discount and not others?

Mark ..... volvoguys

It's about supporting the clubs that support us. These guys Lee and Warren are doing it to help us all out.. they are not making a $ they are providing a service at their won cost and time and asking us to cover the production. They could choose to sell them on ebay 1 by one and make a killing but they dont.. they want to do it for the enjoyment of the hobby.

Thats why they are club peopel and support the clubs.. the discount is basically the membership or even less for th eyear...

Mark.. we all know you run a parts buisness... not sure if it s aside thing or full time.. but you make a good $ from parts and you use the forum to sell and spread the word... surely you wouldnt begrudge these support networks a few $ and rewarding those who supoprt our hobby for the fun of it.

65beam

Donation Time
housing

think ahead!! there is a two word phrase that is used all the time. " WHAT IF " what if a dues paying member buys one of the housings and a few months later it ends up on e bay. it will happen. how do you control that? you don't. what's next?

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hold on Cowboys

We would like to help the clubs in any way we can. This project was offered to CAT and was declined.We are only hobby sellers and not a brick and mortar going concern.

Please read the entire CAT thread before you judge our motives in producing this part. Please also feel free to call me up any time. If we make more than beer money we plan on other bits to be made that are on the stupid eBay money list. There is a reason why the last several eBay sales for housings have plummeted it us telling our mates to get out of their hoarded housings while they can. My 700 dollar original housing did not get sold on as your typical inside info type would, and guys I know with the f/g ones did not sell theirs either. The CAT member who paid over 1000 for the f/g mold was advised over a year ago to move em as we don't want to injure our buds.

Mr 65Beam we will sell on eBay as well.

We did not want to be in the biz.
I got one in the beginning for 700 bucks and when Lee asked me to send it away for the process to get started I said ummmmmmm no I had mine and just paid thru the nose for it . Weeks and months went by I felt bad and found a buddy who had 2 and invited him in. Lee bought a complete car with a air cleaner mid project, the project almost went bust right then and there. But we held on as we had put our word on the line.

I had mature guys scoff at the 450 price in person and say "why that's more than I paid for the whole car! and growl. Did I fire back in a cocky manner well I will give you 10 times that for the car right now, no! I respectfully compared to the fiberglass model's price of 400 plus and said thank you for your time sir. I also had a fella say "I threw mine away 30 years ago cause it was too restrictive." My response there was you can get a K n N which work better now and cut the bottom out like their Xtreme ones.

We can't please all the people all the time but we are giving it a good shot. I am the customer service line, call West coast time:)

Last edited:

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Do these housings have a code or indicator to distinguish them from originals?

Seems like a bad idea, if not.

Allan Ballard

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
As Original

No they do not. Alan the response is the same as on CAT in the long almost 7000 view multi comment page.

There are not watermarks on parts that Sunbeam Specialties re mfg. parts.

Sidebar alert.

When I had a 1950 Schwinn Red Phantom bicycle in my bike collection in 1995 it was worth about $2500 in restored condition. in 1999 Schwinn made a new one in Taiwann that was close but not perfect. Still they sold for about $1000 and the restored bikes like mine or original paint bikes plummeted in value.

I have a Hazet tourist toolkit for my VW. I bought that 20 years ago for 65 bucks. They were over 600, now a repop sells for 200 or so am I mad? Do guys distress the repops to look old and pass em off sure.

A filter housing marked MADE IN USA would get concealed and passed off as original by those nefarious type period. Cars get restored parts get changed, guys even paint 1/2 their car to simulate a survivor look. If you had a Chevy Ford or other popular car nearly every part would be available but would be easier to tell as the chrome is thin and they are generally cheap.

We are helping guys who want original looking cars and don't want to have a 19 dollar China triangle shaped air cleaner or some other modified POS out of J.C. Whitney hahahah I mean Summit catalog

The $1800 eBay air cleaner is dead. Guys buy classic car parts as speculators just like Wall street types buy futures markets. When those guy loose a buck no one cries. Mark made big bucks on a clock 65 Beam on a toolkit buy low sell high "know when to hold and know when to fold em", Kenny Rogers .

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Warren,

Helping folks "look original" at a cost of extinguishing the determination of originality for a distinctive factory part is a poor bargain - that does not benefit the marque.

Distinctive features simply should not be reduced to an admixture of "probable copies."

Why no fitment of a discreet honest identifier if the goal really is to help look original.

65beam

Donation Time
housing

allan,
I agree with you. I made a comment concerning the reproduction of the lemans valve cover tag and several disagreed and felt that I was being XXXXXXXX . but it's OK if these few want to do something odd. maybe I should finally let one local guy start making the lemans top and related parts since I have an extra top in my storage garage. we already made the seats using one of mine for a pattern. reproductions just make originals worth more.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
3 wheler

Alan there are 4 partners in the the deal. I would mark them but it is not up to me alone. Even if I asked guys their vin no and then stamped it on the edge B9471234 for example some one could change it very easily. I have wanted to stamp either the LAT code or the 69024 number.

Doing nothing allowing obscene prices to be demanded and paid . The bottom line is the cars were cheaply and crudely made. I'd guess MK2 wheel well trims and eyebrows and water bottles are next. The club sells reproduction brake stuff. The Original housings will be easy to spot they will be ones with the Patina:)

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
What?

Shame on me for what? The truth is the cars were an entry level and not a direct competitor to the Jaguars.

If we made MK2 wheel arch trims we would then be viewed as magicians.
$8000 to 10,000 replacement cost on them makes the guys scared to drive their cars.

Did I mention I paid $700 dollars for one two years ago? It has imperfections from being overtightened against the carb.

Last night a guy with 4 or 5 Tigers bought one NONE of his cars have a original. He is also one of the mfg's of the fiberglass one. He is also the person at the CAT club swap meet with a box of them 2 years ago. As mentioned in other threads we worked with him as he had invested in the mold acquisition and he was advised ours was in the pipeline.

We have been lauded by guys in very high places and leaders of the pack. Names like Vickery, Swift, and owners of Sunbeam Spares, and professional Sunbeam shop owners have also said well done.

Below I rail against only having eBay as a parts supplier for our cars which is the one of the big reason this part was made. Yes there is a eBay ad now, but sometime you have to deal with the devil. Yes my name is also Johnny and I play a fiddle:cool:

When buying on eBay a original dovetail for my car the nice set was offered in 2 auctions. I only need one side so that was cool. A bidding war ensued he won one I won the other. Seller F's up and sends me his and mine to him and says sorry exchange address and contact with the other guy and I will credit you 5 bucks shipping. So get this the other buyer says nope you send me mine first, and then I will think about it. Then he says I buy car parts as a speculator and sell on or hold for investments.
I contact seller on eBay and he says oh well I guess I will get a neg from you. Mother F er! So as the guy lives in Bakersfield I have the guys address I figure ok I will send the part, and if I don't get mine next time I pass thru his area I will get even. Finally 6 weeks after the auction I get my right dovetail, too bad it doesn't look as good as the one I paid thru the nose for.

Morale of the story is I should have bought 2 of Sunbeam Specialties not as good repops. I would have been driving the car sooner.

Most guys do not go to Sunbeam swap meets anymore to give a good deal to their friends. Now they walk to the shed pick up a old Rootes part box
shoot a photo and include ePay for 12 to 15%. The sellers then print postage on their computer and the mailman picks it up from their door. All this can be done in their bath robe. Sellers get more money and a easier transaction only looser here is guys like us.

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Stock in !

Hopefully we can sell these parts and move on to the next unobtainium part.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor

Sold World Wide. We are getting close to a point where we may attempt to reproduce other un obtainium parts.

What would you be in support of?

Dyrk

Bronze Level Sponsor
The prototype was displayed yesterday at the show in Oxnard. If you missed the show it was epic Cali weather

If you would like a new reproduction housing for your Tiger or Alger. First delivery will be at the Monterey show in August. Pricing will be $495 for non members $450 for members. Membership discount applies to CAT ,STOC, STOA and Sunbeam clubs that require a membership fee. First production run will be 30 units and those sales will have further discount of no sales tax. Shipping will be actual cost with no handling fee. Item will be shipped with top and bottom bare oiled steel finish, no primer ready for paint or chrome.

The pic of the attached one is the reproduction the one with the bit of blue masking tape is a original. The owner of a Sebring Alpine used the word "Perfect," Others "Better than new,"
All fittings are as original it is Minty fresh no expense spared U.S. made.

If you'd like a high res knock your socks off pic please PM me with your email address

Hi Warren,
Are these still available?
Cheers,
Dyrk.
classicmotorworks@shaw.ca