• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

A Stronger Steering Box?

alsalp

Donation Time
So My Electric power steering busted my Alpine box. Apparently this has happened to others in the US and UK. Alpha Romeos have had this problem with their Burman style boxes too. Enough so that one can buy a billet case for 800 pounds or a complete new assembly for 3k pounds. I'm wondering if it would be worth doing for the Alpine boxes. How many and for how much someone would pay to make it worth doing. Is there anyone with the capability? The other "solution" is to reinforce the original box with plates. This has been done with Alpha boxes too. The problem with the Alpine box is there is no plate mounting surface in front like the Alpha or early Land Rover Burman boxes have. Perhaps some TIG welding and machining could be done. Has anyone else experienced a failure EPS or stock? Also With regard to rebuilding a box all that is available are metal balls but no races. One Alpha owner turned the nose of the worm gear to a straight profile in order to use a tapered bearing.
Al

Check out the links:

Alfaholics Billet Aluminium Steering Box Casing – RHD Burman Type

New Steering Box with Alfaholics Billet Casing - LHD Burman Type | Alfaholics

Availability of Burman Box reinforcement kit | Alfa Romeo Forums (alfabb.com)

Burman Box Rebuild | Page 5 | Alfa Romeo Forums (alfabb.com)

Burman Steering Box (autocomponenti.com)

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I think it woud be worth some study to design a replacement for the Alpine steering atleast for the box.

If a new billet was created that had the internal mechanics and a means of a spline input that could resolve some of the stress being reported in the stock boxes.

I could and would be willing to conside buying a couple.