1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

A solution in search of a problem

Discussion in 'Modified Alpine' started by Barry, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Barry

Barry Platinum Level Sponsor

For those who are interested.

Attached Files:

2. RootesRacer

RootesRacer Donation Time

You have our attention...

3. Barry

It's a work in progress. The progress comes sporadically between the "great ideas" and "well, that didn't work".

More pictures to follow as the solutions are worked out.

4. Bill Blue

Bill Blue Platinum Level Sponsor

That is how I ended up with a garage full of brake rotors and caliper adaptors.

Trying to retain the stock crossmember?

Bill

5. Ken Ellis

Ken Ellis Donation Time

Is that like 75% off-the-shelf parts? And fully adjustable to boot?

6. Barry

That was my original approach, but probably not; using the suspension layout from a 1945 Hillman results in a lot of compromises.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  7. Barry

The only fabricated part is the cross-shaft; everything else is off-the-shelf. It is fully adjustable; the jam nuts are missing on the short link.

8. Ken Ellis

Ken Ellis Donation Time

Dang. Great Adjustability + standard engine mounting would be an interesting combo...

9. Barry

Ken,

The upper control arm (UCA) shown in the first post is not intended for use on the Alpine crossmember.

A fully adjustable UCA for the Alpine crossmember can be accomplished a couple of different ways, but that would be a different project.

Out of curiosity, does anybody know the diameter of the Alpine cross-shaft where the UCA pivot bushings mount?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  10. Ken Ellis

Ken Ellis Donation Time

Got it. Still interesting, though...

11. 260Alpine

260Alpine Silver Level Sponsor

Barry, Very nice work! I was initially worried about the strength of the clevises but computer stress analysis and lots of stock car racers have proven the design. There is a guy doing Chevy street rod suspension also with that style of upper A arm.

12. sd_pace

sd_pace Gold Level Sponsor

Very Interesting .. did you make the ball joint socket and is it pressed in?

13. Barry

The ball joint holder is forged steel and is threaded for a screw-in "K772" ball joint.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  14. Barry

Something to go with the adjustable upper control arm.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  15. sd_pace

sd_pace Gold Level Sponsor

all is very interesting thanks Barry

16. Barry

A wooden mockup of something to attach the control arms to.

The 2x6 on the left front is just to keep the wood gizmo from falling over.

The vertical 2x4's on the top represent the Alpine "frame rails".

Attached Files:

17. Bill Blue

Bill Blue Platinum Level Sponsor

I say make that thang out of oak and give it a try!:D

Why the cross bolt in the lower arm?

Bill

18. Barry

Bill,

The wooden mockup revealed a "minor" problem (no way to install the rear crossmember attachment bolts), so some changes are in the works.

The cross bolt in the lower control arm is where the lower end of a coil-over shock is supposed to mount. The fact that there is not enough room for the correct length coil-over shock may be a challenge

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  19. Ken Ellis

Ken Ellis Donation Time

Barry, last week I said I'd measure up the UCA cross shaft. Sadly, the bolts on my 'spare' non-installed front end have consumed a couple impact sockets while resisting removal. Things don't look good without significant surgery on it, and it's gonna be awhile. It looks like I'll be ordering new, but not for a couple months at least. Sorry, man.

20. Barry

Ken,

Not a problem. I asked because it may be possible to create an adjustable upper control arm using the Alpine cross shaft. Won't do me any good, but it might be useful for those who are having alignment issues with the stock suspension setup.