• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

A new level........

64beam

Donation Time
What global financial crisis!! :eek: For that price you would think he would ship for free...anywhere in the world.

Regards, Robin.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
$1550.00!!!!!!
Man some people have too much money

For $50.00 only
I will send an original book of what I know or don't now book by Chuck.Now that's a bargain for sure.Heck I'll even autograph it.

mototron

Donation Time
What Is With The Book Of Norman
That People will pay that Much for it ?

What is it All about ,can someone Explain ?

Thanks
Rocco

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Rocco, it's a "Tiger" thing. It's a tell all book all about tigers down to the last detail. The book is just the thing if you want to bore the crap out of anyone you can find that is not doing a 100 point restoration. Jeff

agmason

Donation Time
"What Is With The Book Of Norman
That People will pay that Much for it ?

What is it All about ,can someone Explain ?"

How can you explain the unexplainable? This hallowed tome is the holy grail to the true believer. Very few copies are in private hands. This book contains the inner most secrets of the "Sunbeam Tiger". Once you have read it contents, you will never have to ask any question concerning a "Sunbeam Tiger". Yes, you will be able to answer the most obscure, trivial question about the "Sunbeam Tiger". You will become a font of knowledge about the "Sunbeam Tiger"

65beam

Donation Time
new level

but is all the info that is included correct? i tend to believe that some is wrong. but i'm just an alpine owner that converts tigers back to alpines.

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
"The Book of Norman," despite all it's shortcomings, is the best restoration guide for Tiger owners who are interested in wanting to put their cars back to stock condition. In addition, it contains the information that was available at the time of print concerning the Tiger registry. I, for one, think it is a very noble effort on the part of Norman Miller to undertake such a task; trying to document details of a particular car, ANY car, in a format such as this is a huge job, no matter how you look at it. Yes, there have evidently been some mistakes discovered over time, but overall it's a great Tiger restoration guide. As far as what it's worth, like anything else it's worth what the market will bear. It evidently took two people who thought it was worth over $1,500.00 to get it there in the first place. Personally, I didn't pay that for my copy, nor would I have if I were looking to buy one now. However, if the buyer has the money to spend on it, who are we to begrudge him???

As the owner of a Tiger Mk1A and Series I Alpine, I feel qualified to ask this question...why is the price of this book, which doesn't deal with Alpines, such a big deal to Alpine owners? I own numerous books on BOTH Alpines and Tigers and have never once been asked what I paid for them. Before someone flames me here, let me again say that I do think that's a lot of money for this book. But, again, why should we give a rip what this guy paid for it???

My .02 worth,

RootesRich

Donation Time
If someone has that kind of cash to splash all I can say is more power to them. I got better things to spend that kind of scratch on... my wife thinks I'm nuts for spending $50 on a used Liverpool FC jersey from 1984. To each their own.

Andy, you bring up an interesting question/ point about why we should care... I think it's more humerous and surprise than anything. I chuckle when I see bidding get out of control on Ebay for NOS parts. Almost all of the Sunbeam owners I've met over the past 30+ years have been really down to Earth types. However, there's always a couple of folks running around that value things at an unreasonable amount and bless them for their optimism.

Chuck, you've probably forgotten more than I will ever know. If you ever write a book, I'll be 1st in line to buy it. I find your Lister fab stories amazing.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Rich,

Great idea! Chuck writes the book, only prints one run, we buy boxes and wait for it to hit BoN stature and sell them ln e-bay..... :D DANG! I'll get my second V6 car done yet..... may be 20 years from now....:rolleyes:

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
RootesRich; Chuck said:
Rich
Thanks for the kind words.
Indeed I have forgotten one or two things but then sometimes I wake up about 2 AM and I just remembered something but come morning I can't remember what it was.
Maybe I should write about how many times I do a modification.Quite often the idea is the same but the end is not like the first try.

64beam

Donation Time
'The book of Chuck'...Now that has a certain ring about it and rolls off the tongue nicely ;) .

Regards, Robin.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Careful, some hoity-toity Tiger owner that believes Alpines are just a mobile collection of Tiger restoration parts will think it's a humorous book and start calling it the "Book of Chuckles". :rolleyes:

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Careful, some hoity-toity Tiger owner that believes Alpines are just a mobile collection of Tiger restoration parts will think it's a humorous book and start calling it the "Book of Chuckles". :rolleyes:

Book of Chuckles
Thats a good one
If some one gets a laugh I would be quite fine with that.

Sownman

Donation Time
I'd love one but won't ever be paying that sort of money. I look at more needed things my Tiger could have for $1550. As far as new levels of stupid one could say the same thing about paying $960 ounce for $32 an ounce gold. Or $45,000 for a $3500 Tiger. Or $10,000 for a Cobra now worth $900.000. Talk about stupid, did you know people paid $10.000 for an acre of land on the Vegas strip in the late 40's. Man those fools are stuck big time. Don't get me started on the twits that actually paid good money to VanGogh's sister in law for a silly painting that VanGogh himself couldn't even sell when he was alive.

Times change, supply, demand, and inflation work their magic

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
"The Book of Norman,"

As the owner of a Tiger Mk1A and Series I Alpine, I feel qualified to ask this question...why is the price of this book, which doesn't deal with Alpines, such a big deal to Alpine owners? I own numerous books on BOTH Alpines and Tigers and have never once been asked what I paid for them. Before someone flames me here, let me again say that I do think that's a lot of money for this book. But, again, why should we give a rip what this guy paid for it???

My .02 worth,

Andy - I agree. Like you I own both Alpines and Tigers. The Book of Norman is very informative and helpful for persons like me who are in the middle of a restoration project.

I applaud Norm Miller for taking on the project and publishing his findings. If there is an Alpine owner out there who has a similar passion for authenticity for Alpines I encourage him/her/them to compile, edit, and publish a similar volume for Alpines.

my 2 cent worth

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
You'd never have a Tiger guy chop up a Tiger like some Alpine guys readily do without a second thought. The guys capable off pulling of an Alpine book similar to a BON don't see the demand for it. You could always sell them in advance (Scott and Ian :D).