• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

A little snippet from Silverstone today

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
I swapped the race 1600 back into the HLM for the FISCAR race today and managed to gain 4 secs a lap over last year and also beat a 2 litre Morgan +4 and a Jowett. My dashcam malfunctioned but an SAOC pal took this clip. Set the volume to max as the car sounds great.

(67) Harrington Le Mans at Silverstone FISCAR race. - YouTube

I increased the Weber chokes from 30 to 32mm, replaced the rear shock absorbers and also the front discs to get my increased performance. This is the Chris Draycott race engine so fully balanced and with chevvy conrods etc. including domed pistons and some special combustion chamber mods which mean the head is now tied to this block. I rev'd up to 6.5K in 3rd but stuck at 5K in 4th as the straights were not long enough for more. Maybe I hit 100 MPH. The issues I had were all about braking and corner roll, so next attention will be harder shocks and harder pads. It was great to be able to out-drag the Morgan out of the corners but I think we both had squirrely grip by the end of the 20 laps. The Silverstone tarmac was very kind to my historic Dunlop tyres compared to the Mallory Park race which ripped chunks out of them.

Attachments

• Silverstone FISCAR 2021.png
    Silverstone FISCAR 2021.png
    1,014.2 KB · Views: 19

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
So good to see a Harrington at speed on the track-a rare sight now. Happy 60th birthday to all Harringtons!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I swapped the race 1600 back into the HLM for the FISCAR race today and managed to gain 4 secs a lap over last year and also beat a 2 litre Morgan +4 and a Jowett. My dashcam malfunctioned but an SAOC pal took this clip. Set the volume to max as the car sounds great.

(67) Harrington Le Mans at Silverstone FISCAR race. - YouTube

I increased the Weber chokes from 30 to 32mm, replaced the rear shock absorbers and also the front discs to get my increased performance. This is the Chris Draycott race engine so fully balanced and with chevvy conrods etc. including domed pistons and some special combustion chamber mods which mean the head is now tied to this block. I rev'd up to 6.5K in 3rd but stuck at 5K in 4th as the straights were not long enough for more. Maybe I hit 100 MPH. The issues I had were all about braking and corner roll, so next attention will be harder shocks and harder pads. It was great to be able to out-drag the Morgan out of the corners but I think we both had squirrely grip by the end of the 20 laps. The Silverstone tarmac was very kind to my historic Dunlop tyres compared to the Mallory Park race which ripped chunks out of them.
Not a bigger anti-roll bar?
Bill

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
I also added poly bushes to my 7/8th inch roll bar during the lockdown. It may have worked but the soft rear shocks were most noticeable deficiency in the corners. Also lots of smoke from the brakes so I'll also get some harder pads. I thought I was using greenstuff already but now I'm not sure. The car tended to float a bit on hard braking but Silverstone is notoriously windy and may have had a destabilising impact.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
BTW, a few years ago over at the Locost site, I was informed that the amount of roll was determined by the car"s roll resistance. Transisition to roll was determined by the shocks. Trying to control the amount of roll with the shocks was wrong headed and should be avoided.

Bill