• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

A lap of the short National Silverstone circuit in the Le Mans yesterday.

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
Taken during the FISCAR race at the BDC (Bentley) Drivers Club) Silverstone meet in Aug 2022 in the Harrington Le Mans. Shows a reasonably clean lap. Was changing up at 6KRPM (78 MPH for me in 3rd with the Historic Dunlops), to max speed of approx 95 MPH at 5.25KRPM, av speed 62 MPH. The two AC Ace Bristols seen in the video were 1st and 2nd - much faster. Very satisfying reliability helped me to classify in 14th place out of 21 original entrants so the hot day (35 degrees) caused a fair amount of attrition. Went off-line a few times mainly to allow the faster cars a clean overtake. As I improved my lines the tyres started to lose grip so lap times were actually pretty constant. I know I'm 5 MPH slower than other Alpines when they show up but I do all my own work compared to one entrant who came with a massive motohome/transporter and two other large support trucks - all very serious. I installed adjustable gas struts at the rear for this race and it improved the cornering body roll. Cooling on such a hot day was key and the bonnet (hood) has louvres and was jacked up to give an inch of airflow, also ran twin electric fans all the time. Water temp never went higher than normal. Oil pressure was 50+ psi all day long. All in all very satisfying to load up the trailer afterwards. Had to wring the sweat out of my overalls though and was definitely de-hydrated at the end of the race.

(138) Sunbeam Harrington Le Mans A lap of Silverstone - YouTube

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Your engine sure sounded strong.

Keep the Sunbeam Alpine out there.

While I was in the UK this last Spring Glenn was the best host. Not only did he share his family, but, he also provided many occasions to ride in his Harrington Le Mans. One time in particular set my head to spinning. As we left a gathering of Sunbeam enthusiasts at a local Pub Glenn set a speed record leaving the parking lot on to the adjacent roadway. When he pressed the accelerator down to the floor my head snapped back into the seats backrest. The blood in my brain moved rapidly to the rear and I was feeling the G forces rise. Whew, what a moment. We repeated the experience at the Prescott Hill Climb. Yes, Dan, the engine is a "strong" Draycott built powerhouse. Thanks for the memories Glenn!

Now I'm off to a local British car meet with the Promotional Harrington Le Mans.

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
While I was in the UK this last Spring Glenn was the best host. Not only did he share his family, but, he also provided many occasions to ride in his Harrington Le Mans. One time in particular set my head to spinning. As we left a gathering of Sunbeam enthusiasts at a local Pub Glenn set a speed record leaving the parking lot on to the adjacent roadway. When he pressed the accelerator down to the floor my head snapped back into the seats backrest. The blood in my brain moved rapidly to the rear and I was feeling the G forces rise. Whew, what a moment. We repeated the experience at the Prescott Hill Climb. Yes, Dan, the engine is a "strong" Draycott built powerhouse. Thanks for the memories Glenn!

Now I'm off to a local British car meet with the Promotional Harrington Le Mans.

You are too generous Jerry. Certainly I have plenty of power up to 6KRPM but Chis told me had had balanced the engine for 7KRPM but that I would not get there because of the exhaust airflow constriction of my standard manifold. In fact I now think that the change of Weber choke size from 30 to 32mm still leaves room for a bit more, maybe another 500RPM. My problem there is that due to Covid all the rolling roads were either closed down or booked up months into the future. Going to 34mm will also need my other jets to be verified. I lose out to the other cars once I am at 6KRPM but can keep up when I am dragging out of corners.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Great video of a great car Glenn!
Please send a nice high resolution photo of your Harrington to membership@sunbeamalpine.org
Would make a great addition to our 2023 club calendar. And anyone else is welcome to send in photos too!
Thanks, Eric

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Just got a great photo from Glenn! Thanks for that. We are always looking for Sunbeam/Hillman/Rootes calendar photos!