• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

59 Rapier

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The valve cover is correct (not alloy) but I suspect the whole motor is from a much later hillman since it has PCV and the single stromberg.
Engine is probably an iron head 1725.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
The Series 2 Rapier had a 1494cc engine with a cast iron head. The chrome headlamp rims were not fitted to this model - were they an option for the North American market?

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The particular valve cover and single Stromberg are the same as found on No. American fastback Alpine Coupes with the cast-iron head 1725. Looks like there wasn't room for a standard air cleaner without the normal 10 degree cant found on Hunter Range cars.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Two questions for you Rapier experts.

1. Would there be any worthwhile performance to be gained by bolting a pair of Alpine Stomberg 150's on this car, or would the iron head & existing cam make this pointless?

2. Would the Alpine stoms and manifold fit?

Thanks in advance!

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Two questions for you Rapier experts.

1. Would there be any worthwhile performance to be gained by bolting a pair of Alpine Stomberg 150's on this car, or would the iron head & existing cam make this pointless?

2. Would the Alpine stoms and manifold fit?

Thanks in advance!

I am going to answer your questions in reverse, you'll see why.

2) No, alpines use aluminum heads and the port configuration (among many other things) is not compatible.

1) Since the dual strom intake doesnt fit that head, its almost a moot point.
However it is possible to convert that engine over to the aluminum head, in which case you would gain about 20hp.
To do so requires:
The later alloy head (has the biggest valves).
A SV camshaft (iron head cams have intake and exhaust lobes in different positions).
SV intake (though personally I'd install an SIII or SIV intake and a weber).
SV exhaust or earlier tube header.
SV or earlier pushrods (ones in the engine may be OK as installed).

Not for the weak, but these parts are a bolt in though you'll have to drop the sump for the cam change.

HTH

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Assuming that the car has the original 1494 cc engine, the original carbs would have been Zeniths and it is doubtful if alternatives carbs would improve the performance without a considerable amount of re-working of the engine. I would also question the advisability of improving the performance as the engine has 3 main bearings and the car, which is quite heavy, has non-servo drum brakes all round.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Assuming that the car has the original 1494 cc engine, the original carbs would have been Zeniths and it is doubtful if alternatives carbs would improve the performance without a considerable amount of re-working of the engine. I would also question the advisability of improving the performance as the engine has 3 main bearings and the car, which is quite heavy, has non-servo drum brakes all round.

I think we can infer from the looks of the engine installed that the engine is NOT a 1494. If its not an iron head 1725, someone has gone to a great deal of trouble mixing and matching parts adding things onto a 1494 which were never designed for it.

Just saying.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for the info Rootes Racer.

The first time the car was listed the owner stated that the engine had been upgraded to 1750CC and the trans was an from alpine with OD. I was thinking it was probably a 1725, but the valve cover didn't look right.

It looks like a neat car, but I think the seller would be smart to cut the starting price in half.

The current price, plus the divorce the purchase would trigger, are more than I can afford!

lord_rootes

Donation Time
Thanks for the info Rootes Racer.

The first time the car was listed the owner stated that the engine had been upgraded to 1750CC and the trans was an from alpine with OD. I was thinking it was probably a 1725, but the valve cover didn't look right.

It looks like a neat car, but I think the seller would be smart to move cut the starting price in half.

The current price, plus the divorce the purchase would trigger, are more than I can afford!

I know this car and it's owner. The engine is a 1725 engine taken from a Sunbeam Arrow.

Alan