• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

50th Anniversary Harrington Gathering 2011

65beam

Donation Time
harrington

eric,
i assume that rick kellett still has his D type, but do you know of anyone else that in this part of the country that has a harrington? does phil perron still have his lemans? i think there was another around bellfontaine ohio, jan's went to iowa and i know of three on the west coast with one having a V6,brian boyer has wally's and we have three. i wonder where there are others.

mattinoz

Donation Time
Harringtons in Oz

Here a pic of a nice pale blue Harrington at our recent Nationals. The club social sec has a red Le Mans restored by Mal Clark

alpine_64

Donation Time
Here a pic of a nice pale blue Harrington at our recent Nationals. The club social sec has a red Le Mans restored by Mal Clark

Matt,

The car you pictured belonged to ian spencer, a founder of the SAOCA and board. He sold it to AU a couple of years back. We are lucky to get such a nice properly restored Harrington in the country, no bodges on this stunning car, I hope it drew the attention it deserves.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Same car, different view. My wife and I stumbled upon the car as it was on its way to the West Coast to be shipped down under. The photo was taken while scooting down the interstate at 65 mph.

img_0011.jpg

Bill

mattinoz

Donation Time
Michael, Yes it did. Many admiring inspections. It arrived on a trailer (it's in the background) and what a stunning random coincidence Bill, to see the same car on a trailer crossing the USA. Fortunately it made it to AU safe and sound unlike a recent import that seems to have been dropped somewhere along the way.

65beam

Donation Time
harrington

we were at the vintage races at mid ohio this weekend and an ex hillman owner ( now a volvo 1800 owner ) told us that a customer at the shop where he works had a lemans many years ago and he had some work done on another car recently and was telling them he still has the lemans stored. it's in pretty sad shape from what he was telling them. they are going to ask him where the car is and if he would sell it.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
original HLM sold to whom?

I see the original HLM sold for 64000 euros but who was the lucky buyer? Any body heard>
Jeff

Harrington Jan

Donation Time
Hi Jeff

It was sold for £ 64960 pounds Sterling (10% commision) and went to USA. I don't think the new owner wants me to announce his name. You will know sooner or later from the results from the tracks.

alpineclive

Diamond Level Sponsor
Le Mans Spears and side trim

Hi

I just reread one of your posts from years ago and at the time it seemed you might be able to get replica side trims made in Manila...did that ever work out for you? What are the results like and can more be made? I have one spear but need everything else!

Best regards
Clive

Hi All,

I have owned a '63 Harrington Le Mans in the Philippines for a few years now. Probably the only one in PI. I bought it in a very sad state, but felt that it needed to be saved. It was originally purchased in PI by a race car driver called "Dodgie" Laurel. Dodgie had won the Macau Grand Prix twice ('61 and '63), and was going for a third when he hit a wall in a Lotus and died. The picture you see is the car after paint. Instead of keeping with the wood roof frame, I have had it all changed to a small diameter steel cage that will be hidden by the interior and makes the car extremely tight. In fact, even without the windshield frame installed, the roof will not move!! Anyway, the engine is being rebuilt, I had stainless steel spoked rims made by Dayton, but I do not have the original tranny, which I understand had overdrive in all gears (was this the only box offered?). I attended the Manila Sports Car Club Concourse and 40th Dinner in '07, (Dodgie was the founder) and saw numerous pictures of my car when it was owned by Dodgie. Very cool indeed. I would really like to get more info about these cars, as I know a bit of the history, but not sure about a lot of the details (my dash had a mix of different brand gauges, etc.). Could someone provide detailed pics of the engine compartment, dash, interior, and outside chrome strip and badges please. I have a stainless guy here who can make the trim. He is very good and has done both my '65 GTOs, and will do trim for my 356s too. I will have him make the spears and "Le Mans" emblem. If good, I can offer them to other members (the cost here is pretty reasonable). I'll post pics when done, but that may be a while as we are finishing up a few other cars first (business before pleasure). I want this car for my own to use while attending MSCC and other functions in Manila, although I originally bought it to drive every day. Some may consider this terrible, but we have fitted air to the car. In this country, you really need air, never need heat though.