• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

50 years of the Imp

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Nice 8 page spread on the Imp in the July issue of Classics Monthly.

Great cars - One of these days I'll get one.

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
There's a similar article in July's Classic and Sportscar!
I'll be in the UK in September and planning on catching up with some of the Imps in Wales at one of their Club events, as they celebrate their 50th. I had Imps years ago and would love another, but they are hard to find over here! (but I've still got the imp engined Ginetta :) )

alpine_64

Donation Time
While i like the imp the sunbeam stiletto is my personal favourite... the fastback styling, round sports gauges and quad headlight setup makes them look good. Ditch the stock steel wheels and put on some chunky period wheels, cosmics, minilites, dunlop D1 etc.. and they look like an awesome little sports car. The californian is the luxury version of the stiletto.. but just doesn't have the same menace

sunbeam-stiletto-08.jpg
4965672310_eeb5c718c0_z.jpg
200492223214159084.jpg
RootesNL2003_10.jpg

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
Spot on Michael!
Here's a couple of photos of my Stiletto from the late 80's that I found just the other day. Not quite as shiny as the ones in your photos but it went like a rocket once I fitted a 998cc with big valves and a cam. Had a lot of fun in that car! It had a set of nice white Revolutions on it (occasionally fitted with snow chains ;) ).
They were never imported into Australia I understand, although there are one or two here.
The Californian wasn't the luxury version, it was actually more basic than the Stiletto; it had single headlights and a less powerful engine. There were also a few Singer Chamois coupes made which would have been slightly more "luxurious" but still with the basic engine. In Australia the badging was slightly different, with most of the Imps being Sunbeams rather than Hillmans, and the UK Sport versions were known as GT's here.

Sold mine in 1993ish (I left the UK in around 91) to be restored, but its never been seen since :( Thank goodness I hung onto the Ginetta!

Attachments

• Stiletto snow_small.jpg
    Stiletto snow_small.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Stiletto front_small.jpg
    Stiletto front_small.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 4