• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

5" servo. Any good?

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
How do the 5" brake servos compare to the 7" servos? Do they still work ok, and are there rebuild kits available for them?

mikephillips

Donation Time
The main difference between the two is the 7" gives slightly higher assistance than the 5" so in theory the pedal effort is a bit less. Over the 40 years I've had Alpines never really noticed the difference myself. As for rebuild kits, availability seems to come and go so what I'd say is check the internal condition of what you have and check with the usual Sunbeam sources for the kit to rebuild whichever is in the best internal condition. I'm assuming since you asked which is better you have or have access to both sizes.

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Booster

Thank you Mike. I actually don't have either one, but a 5" one came up on eBay for $10 as a core and I figured I'd give it a shot at bidding on it if it was something I'd be able to use? I may just hold off and find a 7" one?

-Kyle

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Stock

Hmmm my ears are burning. But on the subject I have a 5" and 2 or 3 7" boosters in the piles of stuff I smash and grab when I can.

My car came with the model Victoria British Sells and on the one or two times the car has stalled it helps a bunch when you have stock hydraulics and a big ol 260 iron head beast sitting on the crossmember.

AlsPine

Donation Time
I eliminated the booster and had Mod Tiger engineering do their upgrade to my brake petal in order to provide more leverage. They move the pivot point down, weld and drill a new hole for the push rod closer to the pivot point, so it aligns with the master cylinder bore. It provides a bit more brake pressure than the booster did. They provide an upgraded adjustable push rod also.
I also rebuilt the master and wheel cylinders, calipers, flushed out all the brake lines and went to the synthetic brake fluid.
Was glad to eliminate the booster as the bores are worn and doesn't last as long after rebuild.
Could have had it sleeved, but rather just eliminate it all together.
The only thing that I will miss is the nice chrome vacuum chamber, it looked so nice... oh well, looks good on the shelf in the garage too.

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Servo

I was considering just running without one as well. I dunno, I guess if I don't have one by the time the cars up and running and I'm at the point to rebuild the brake system then I'll just bypass it. I've never drivin a Tiger or an Alpine, so I wouldn't have any comparison anyways lol. Oh and I too have some lovely looking parts sitting on my shelf from me changing my mind about stuff after getting the car going (previous projects) lol.

Thanks guys- Kyle